Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Signing Servers are slow and failing?

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to let everyone know that we are aware of the current slow down and are working to restore service to the signing servers.  We apologize for the current issue.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF
My Device: Bold 9780, DevAlpha
My Carrier: Vodafone CZ

[ Edited ]

MSohm, have a some questions:

+ Why it takes about 12+ hours to detect the problem with signing servers?

+ Is there 24/7 support for signing servers?

+ WHEN developers HOTLINE will be availabled at RIM?

At this time development for BlackBerry looks like a game 'Minesweeper'. You'll never know what you've got at the next day:

+ Signing servers down...

+ Appworld just put your application to bottom of list

+ Review/rate from Appworld customers missing...

+ Your application stop working, because there is a BUG in RIM SDK/Firmware

Do you understand, that with all of these issues is IMPOSSIBLE to plan any software busienss on this platform?

I will finish all of started BB projects and moving to Android...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiril76
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

And your coffee machine is too slow ...

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
zumwaltwood
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Cricket

Not only are the signing servers slow and failing, but the blackberry customer support using the help@blackberry.com is responding with "Action Required: Please submit BlackBerry inquiry via approved channel signature system failing"

What on earth is that trying to say? The verbage makes no sense, anyway, the RCR is coming back OK but the RBB is failing, I am getting an email that it was successfuly signed but the Signature Tool keeps stating  that the signing failed. This is still as of 9:11 AM CST (1/17/2011)

BlackBerry Java JDK 6.0.0.30
BlackBerry Java Plug-in 1.3.0.201101051005-15
BlackBerry JRE 6.0.0
Eclipse: Helios

Please use plain text.
New Developer
CanElmas

I believe that the whole day is wasted for blackberry developers. mine is wasted..

I personally  believe that this online signing process should be replaced as soon as possible with some other mechanism, if its only purpose is for RIM to keep track of APIs used..

it's really annoying...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiril76

[ Edited ]

At least it should be possible to deploy a NON signed application on your OWN phone or simulator, well you know ... the way it WORKS on Android ...

Please use plain text.
Developer
ted_hulick

Mark:

I just wanted to let everyone know that we are aware of the current slow down and are working to restore service to the signing servers.  We apologize for the current issue."

"slow down" - this is not a slow down Mark - it's a complete stop.

"We apologize" -  Mark, I know you are just the messenger, but I for one would like to see someone with a VP title apologize...and have the guts to post his real email in the event this happens again.

The signing server issue has been going on for months...maybe years...it's insane to get an email

for every signed cod...

What "brilliant" RIM engineer came up with this?

Why the heck is this process still in place?

Please use plain text.
Developer
tra4d
My Device: Bold 9700

While I don't agree with all of ted_hulick's post, the signing process is quite terrible.  Is there not a way to bypass this when you are deploying to a device for debugging?  They must be a way to allow a developer (w/ code-signing keys installed) to deploy to a device and allow the program to run while tethered to the PC w/ the keys.

Please use plain text.
Developer
baldmountain

The day isn't wasted. Use the time to refactor some code, write some tests or debug using the simulator. Spend the day reading a computer science book that you have been putting off because you haven't had time. Learn a new programming language.

Or, spend the day learning about other mobile platforms like the iPhone and/or Android. Then try not to cry when you see what development could be like on an advanced mobile platform rather than on one created to run embedded on a credit card.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
zumwaltwood
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Cricket

Or use the day to figure out how they determine the title between new contributor vs new developer, since I am a developer.. *shrugs* I need to have the code signing work because I am working on a prototype that I have 2 in house individuals who need to access the application on their phones, they each have a different BB phone than that of my Curve and I need to make sure that the UI's work on theirs like it works on mine.

This code signing need makes sense to me, but the lack of fast turn around on fixing the server is dis-heartening. How do you simply explain to your boss that a company as huge as RIM has crappy code signing design? You don't because your boss doesn't care, your boss wants results and wants them now. They see it work on the simulator at your desk, now they want it on their phone ASAP, but with NO eta on fix for code signing servers, you simply sit at your desk, work on more code for other projects and tell them, sorry, I am waiting on RIM to get around to fixing their servers, oh yea, they are GLOBAL with thousands of employees, so someone will get around to it, honestly, but no one we can physically talk to about getting turn around times.

Back to coding.

BlackBerry Java JDK 6.0.0.30
BlackBerry Java Plug-in 1.3.0.201101051005-15
BlackBerry JRE 6.0.0
Eclipse: Helios

Please use plain text.