Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
vannux
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Signing application server side

Hi all, I have a curious needed.. to sign the cod midlets server side (inside IIS).I am already able to compile the jar file in a cod file with rapc (always in a IIS process) but when I try to sign the cod file (starting a process with different credentials respect IIS) the process is blocked because the application signaturetool.jar needs to open a window (also if I use the switch –p)!!! and the server doesn’t allow this operation. There is an “hidden” option to avoid this behavior?Or there is an alternative tool? Thanks,Mauro 
Developer
marchywka

Re: Signing application server side

I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to say but I routinely use that option and have to becareful I

don't type into that stupid signing screen whenever it comes up. What I wanted to point out was how

funny it was that Windoze was preventing a process from running BECAUSE it popped up a window, normally

they design everthing about interaction.

I'm not sure how feasible this is but if you really get stuck, the signature tool seems to be java.

Presumably you could run it with stubs for the swing classes it requires - these should let it

run without trying to get windoze to open a window.

Anyway, more generally, what is wrong with getting Apache and running the sign tool on another machine?

I've got a similar problem trying to work with a server at a hosting company and plan on just getting a

machines dedicated for tasks like this- the main server just calls the Apache server running whatever you want to

handle the request.

I guess there is also the issue of why you are signing at the server. I looked at a lot of build-on-demand

scenarios where you couldn't put parameters into the jad and needed a user specific cod file. Normally it

turned out to make more sense to download the custom stuff after installing a canned cod file.

New Developer
vannux

Thanks for the answer :smileyhappy:

By default, and for serurity IIS runs as a non-interactive user, so it has no possibility to interact as a normal user.

Yes, the signature tool is a java app, but, if I remember well, it is not possible substitute the java.* package with a custom package for security reasons.

It is very interesting the possibility to use apache as a sign-server machine: how can I send and retrieve the files to sign to a such server? Do you have already implemented this solution?

In my scenario there are some authors that can build applications in a jar format. The server will deliver this courses to the BB devices so.. rapc + sign

Developer
marchywka

You can point your own instance of a jvm to whatever class library you want but sure class loaders

IIRC can be restrictive, esp for applets. I don't know how much control you have on this server

but writing stubs may be a bit of a task :smileyhappy:

I'd just suggest you have one web server for serving web pages and a more flexible system

that "does stuff" but has a simple web server as an interface. Apache would be my choice,

I don't know why you couldn't just write a servlet to do it as long as the permissions are setup.

You could either use the web services/soap stuff or I would just use get/post.

New Developer
vannux

Finally I've found a solution!

I've created a window service listening on a TCP socket: the asp page will send to this service the right command to sign the cod file.