Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Signing using BlackBerry Signing Authority Tool

Hi There,

Has anyone tried the BlackBerry Signing Authority Tool yet?

I tried the tool using own generate key (using Private Key Administration and Remote Client Administration), successfully signed my blackberry application, but after i put in my real device, always show me "Module 'httpdemo' attempts to access a secure API".

Has anyone successfully deploy on real device using own generated key (not buy from RIM). Thank You.

Developer
Developer

Re: Signing using BlackBerry Signing Authority Tool

Using the signing authority tool doesn't get you out of purchasing the standard keys from RIM.   The main purpose of generating your own key is to prevent others from access your own data or APIs.

New Developer

So, you mean if i want my application to be run in production (real device), i absolutely should buy the key from RIM? and there is no other way? Thank You.
Developer
Developer

There are RIM APIs that don't require signing to use but for all practical purposes, yes you need to buy the keys from RIM if you are going to run on a real device.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

[ Edited ]

the Blackberry Signing Authority Tool is meant for requiring other developers who intends to use your application/library and you set signing key for that library.

but for your own apps, you need to purchase the key inorder for you to use the most of the RIM's API. 

Message Edited by johnbibs on 08-14-2009 05:51 AM
Contributor

Why is RIM incapable of explaining this stuff? Why do I have to read through the tool manual plus several forum threads before eventually someone explains what the tool is for???

RIM: Developer tools are for developers, not for your boss. The clue is in the name.

Please treat them as such including documenting them!