Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Eugen
My Device: Z10 LE

Simulator file system principes

Hi guys,

I'm looking to simplify life to our automation engineers. They have automated tests but they are coupled and should be executed in strong order. It means that if something wrong with one case before it will fail all after. I was thinking to help them to introduce some start point state for simulator. Where app passed the registration, has some numbers of contacts and messages (we have messanging app). so they code after every test clean sim, restore to zero point and go on with next test.

I played a little with dmp files of simulator. I found that I could restore state for this particular sim and our application version. But I failed when I tried to use same files with another simulator (file system error). And also I failed when I tried to replace old cod file with updated app version.

I probably messed up something and I'm going to have another try. But does anyone have success expirience in this area - restoring state of simulator and update app cod files? Something similar?

Thanks,

Eugen

Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Simulator file system principles

I have not personally tried to do this but I believe that backing up the entire directory, especially the dmp files, should give you a Simulator in a working state.

Regarding changing your app, I believe the rules are the same for this situation as they are for the normal device.  You can put a new app in but if the Object persistence model has changed, then the persisted data will not match. 

Regarding changing using dmp files from different level SIM's or different SIMs, I think that will fail for the same reason as when changing your app.  I be the persisted Objects change from one device to another and from one level of OS to another.

As noted, not tested, just my thoughts on what should happen.

Developer
Eugen
My Device: Z10 LE

Re: Simulator file system principles

Peter, thanks a lot for contribution. I will do another try tomorrow with care. I hope to fix at least app upgrade on the same simulator and memory dump. I didn't try completely different simulator I was trying just another 9700 sim but probably with another OS version. I will clarify all things tomorrow because really tired with Sikuli automation today. But I did 4 automated test cases today for one user story which I think quite nice progress.

I'm also looking for opportunities to add contacts to address book. But I think I will resolve it also with another zero point dump file. It would be great if we could do all this staff from box or at least it is described somewhere :smileyhappy: