Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
sreid
My Device: 9630 Tour
Accepted Solution

Smartphone OS Question

hi,

I have written a BlackBerry application, the target OS is OS 5, however I want to test the code in a simulator for the BlackBerry 9900, which runs OS 7.0.

Can you tell me how to achive this?

Currently I am using JRE 5.0, but when I look at the list of simulators I do not see the "9900" even though JRE 7.0 and JRE 7.1 is installed on my machine.

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly, so my question is how can I test my code on the 9900 (OS 7) when my target platform is OS 5?

thanks,

Steve

Please use plain text.
Developer
YamilBracho
My Device: 8520

Re: Smartphone OS Question

Right click in your project, Run As, Run Configurations, Select the JRE tab, and then the radio button "Alternate JRE" and choose BlackBerry JRE 7

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

maybe the internal registration failed, i have a list of all installed simulators on the run/debug configuration tab.

you can manually copy your cod to a simulator, or you can just compile with OS 7 and run it on the appropriate simulator, should not change a thing.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sreid

[ Edited ]

simon,

when you installed the simulators, did you do it through Eclipse (Help -> Install New Software) or did you download a simulator from the BlackBerry site? It's possible I did not use the correct method.  The image below shows the simulators I've installed and the JRE in use..

Eclipse Screen Shot

thanks,

steve

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

yes, you are right, only the simulators of the sdk are offered, the others are all from the simpacks.
downloading some OS 7 simpack should help you, then.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sreid

YamilBracho,

that did it, I can see the simulator 9900 in the selection list along with the other simulators.

thanks to you and Simon, I have learned something new.

Steve.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
sreid

[ Edited ]

One problem though, is that now I am getting an error when I compile, which I didn't have before:

An internal error occurred during: "Packaging BlackBerry Simulator".
java.lang.NullPointerException

not sure how to get rid of this...my guess is Eclipse maybe pulling code from JRE 5.0 and JRE 7.00 (alternate JRE)?

UPDATE:

solved the problem, I had to lower the compiler compliance level and clean the simulator.

Please use plain text.