Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
precisionpete
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Someone at RIM should be fired for the issues with the signing servers....

Speaking of such...

Does RIM actually have a program where you can contact them to work through development issues? I don't mind paying. 

I'm new to BB development and I must say is has been painful. I spent most of my day today trying to get the preprocessor to work with eclipse. I'm still not sure if it's working or not.

If the documentation is missing, the next best thing is a human.

Please use plain text.
Developer
donturner
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)

Check these stats out from Distimo

iTunes store

Reach:100,000,000   

Available applications: 300,000

Blackberry app world

Reach: 20,000,000 Available applications: 14,486

So RIM has 1/5 the reach but 1/20 the number of applications, I think that speaks volumes for how difficult it is to create BlackBerry apps. 

It's a real shame because the hardware is so good. I love my Bold 9700, and would choose it any day of the week over my wife's iPhone. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gord888

.... are the signing servers dead again??
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF
My Device: Bold 9780, DevAlpha

Sorry for my poor english, not native, but i'm so ANGRY about JDE SDK and latest OS's....

Too much bugs in API, that makes my work is a like a minesweeper. I do not know - will my code works on next OS's build or not.

Some API does not works as intended. And this depends on OS build. This is a CRAZY!

Just imagine - that ALL SOFTWARE depends on next OS update? It's a nightmare.

Need a samples?

Okay.

1. PhoneScreen. It does not works as intended at latests Bold 97xx on OS 6. Area is too small, fonts corrupted and do not inferits from current theme.

2. AbstractPhoneListener. OS 4.6 - one model of events (Fail does not call onDisconnected), OS 5.0 - other model...

3. ApplicationMenuItem does not works from PhoneLogs in OS 6.0, return null object...

4. PhoneScreen. OS6.0 - it's impossible to execute method run() for current menu items. IllegalStateException, but in OS 5.0 all is fine

5. Audio.isHeadsetConnected() does not works with bluetooth headset... MORE THAN 2 years!!!!

Issues, issues, issues.... You do not see it before launch on real device.

I'm just tired to FIND a REAL reason for errors:

first step. Trying to find the bug in MY code...

second step. Trying to understand SDK - maybe i'm wrong?

final step. Looking to forum... and voila! This is a known issue in SDK!!!

post final step - looking a another way to avoid this issue.

I think - HORRIBLE SDK is a MAIN REASON - why developers DOES NOT WANT to create applications for BlackBerry.

Good idea, easy to create own applications that MAY work, but DOES NOT works, because SDK does not works as intended.

There is a WORST QA as i seen. Disappointed. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF

more questions...

1. Why I can get FULL access to EMAIL folders, but i can't get access to SMS folders. Is there a some reason for this restriction? What a security reason? Can you explain?

2. Why TextToSpeech interface is unavailable for developers? What a security reason?

3. Why there is no API to manage phone calls? Why i need to invent some horrible ways to manage my phone calls, like a emulate press red key?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

[ Edited ]

RIM licenses the Text 2 Speech tech from Nuance. Their license might state that only RIM can use it unless they get a license from Nuance or it's required by law (I know RIM has BlackBerry's that have the TTS tech in it but they are for those that are disabled and require it).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF

But some applications HAVE access to TTS!!!

I'm ready to give up and going to other platform....

PhoneLog issues more than year... no fix

Please use plain text.
Developer
ted_hulick

I've got a bunch of complaints myself....

* Why the H*** is there not an API to do a full power cycle on the phone instead of people

having to create problems that the phone would reboot itself?

* Why can't an application inherit the same permissions from an application that created it?  If that

app wanted to do harm - it would just do it itself versus create another app to do it...?

* Why do I need an email for every COD API that is signed...3 for each COD to be exact?

* Why is there not a simple API to turn the **bleep** phone into a flashlight?

* Why do I have at several bug entries now over a year without even a response...

* I have many more...

* And for the final question - where is Mike Kirkup?  Why does he NOT call a general online meeting

and address all of these issues one by one...most people here (the ones not drinking the koolaid) -

are really not happy with RIM as a partner...

Please use plain text.
Developer
AlexXF

For the 10 years that i wrote applications for MS Windows i do not find any issue in MS SDK/DDK. But for the 30 days that i use BlackBerry JDE SDK i've got more than 10 bugs....

HS! This peoples trying to invite developers that will write applications for the BlackBerry like for iOS?!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

Not gonna touch other issues... but show me a phone that has an API to power cycle itself....

ted_hulick wrote:

I've got a bunch of complaints myself....

* Why the H*** is there not an API to do a full power cycle on the phone instead of people

having to create problems that the phone would reboot itself?

* Why can't an application inherit the same permissions from an application that created it?  If that

app wanted to do harm - it would just do it itself versus create another app to do it...?

* Why do I need an email for every COD API that is signed...3 for each COD to be exact?

* Why is there not a simple API to turn the **bleep** phone into a flashlight?

* Why do I have at several bug entries now over a year without even a response...

* I have many more...

* And for the final question - where is Mike Kirkup?  Why does he NOT call a general online meeting

and address all of these issues one by one...most people here (the ones not drinking the koolaid) -

are really not happy with RIM as a partner...

Please use plain text.