Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
pconroy
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry Nuther Noob! Overwhelmed, where to start???

Hi folks - I'm a newbie and am overwhelmed with all of the forums and information.

And I'm struggling with HelloWorld.  :simleysad:

I've got an 8700c, I've installed JDE 4.1.0; created a workspace; created a project; typed in HelloWorld.java from the BB App Developer Guide #1, clicked Build And Run, watched the simulator launch and...

...nothing.

I'm expecting to see "HelloWorld" somewhere on the simulator.

Is there a set of "Getting Started" sticky posts, docs, examples, FAQs out there so us newbies can get up to speed without bothering the experience developers?

Thanks - Patrick

Developer
gxgraham
My Device: Curve 8320

Re: Sorry Nuther Noob! Overwhelmed, where to start???

Make sure the project is active.  Click Project, Set Active Projects ...  Your HelloWorld needs to be selected there.

Developer
peter_strange

Patrick, welcome! 

There are load of useful resources here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/

I particularly recommend some of the videos for the JDE(http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/resources/videolibrary.jsp#tab_ddetail_subtab_jde), in your case, and I'm not being frivolous, I would actually do the debugging one!

The other 'path' you may wish too take are the Labs (see Developer Labs link on the left).  I must admit I tend to download the solutions first when reviewing these....  But you will find another HelloWorld in there that might be easier for you.

Hope this helps. 

Developer
KeniF

According to your information I think your HelloWorld is already there.

Just go to the list of applications and you should find a "Command prompt" style icon.

Developer
AsriDwitiya

Make sure u'r build xml right.,and add JavaPlatform to your IDE.,

If u not add JavaPlatform to your IDE u can't see u'r simulator run.,

New Developer
pconroy

My apologies for not checking in sooner. My BB development is opportunistic - I get to it when everything else is complete.  Thanks for the tips. I'll start reading them.

I did notice an error in the Build window log.  Just one. Buried in hundreds of lines of debug output and simulator startup code.  Depressing since all I did was cut and paste the HelloWorld sample.

But I'm willing to bet a ham sandwich that "this error" could be the source of my current woes!

I'm going to spend a couple of hours on it now and see if I can figure out what the heck is going on.

Oddly I noticed that the directory where my JDE 4.1.0 installed is all read-only?!?!?!  I'm local admin on this box, I wonder why the JDE would install it's whole directory tree and then mark it as read-only.....

Hmmmm.

New Developer
pconroy

Hooray - I got it!  I went into Debug 101 mode, excruciatingly examining step by step, typing each step into Notepad as I went.

90 minutes later - Hello World on the simulator!  :smileyhappy:

I need to Blog this in case someone else comes along, in shoes similar to mine!