Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9000/9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Specifying 32 bit JVM on 64 bit Windows

I am running Win 7 64 bit on an i7.  I have seen the directions regarding the RIMIDE.dll or some such missing file, so installed 32 bit java.  By default, it goes into the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\ directory, which has as a subdirectory jre6\bin. When I specify

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw

in the eclipse.ini file, as per the eclipse instructions on how to ensure the java you are running is the one you want to run, I get a dialog saying "Could not create the Java virtual machine". When I specify

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java

the console pops up then disappearsbefore I can read it. Actually, I've tried specifying it as:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\java
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\
and, last but not least:,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_20\bin\javaw.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_20\bin\

None of these work. Does anyone know how to specify the jvm (in spite of eclipse's instructions, as found here). Also, out of pure curiosity, does anyone know what the difference in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_20\ and the C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre\ directories are (I assume the jdk has stuff like javac, which is not included in the jre, but the jdk seems to have all the jre files in it).

TIA!
anw

P. S.

Just had a thought: I don't have to use the 32-bit version of Eclipse, do I? I'll try this when I get a chance, but would appreciate any knowledge or expert comment on this. Since I set up this monster machine just for the purpose of doing Blackberry development, I'd hate to think I was stuck in 32-bit land for all this!

TIA,
Allen
Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Specifying 32 bit JVM on 64 bit Windows

I had 64 bit eclipse working on a 32-bit jvm but the environment was just too fragile and I went back to 32-bit eclipse.  Much simpler and on an i7 it'll still fly.  

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey, thanks for the reply!

That was what I was afraid of.  So, unless I get a better answer, that's probably what I will do.  No special hints or anything required for running 32-bit Eclipse on 64-bit Windows, I guess?  Just install it and go?

What did you do to get the 32-bit jre working on 64-bit eclipse?

-Allen

TIA,
Allen
Developer
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Yep, just install and go.

IIRC I set my PATH so that the 32-bit JDK was in the path before anything else.

Regular Contributor

Ha!  I may give that a shot.  I figured that telling eclipse in eclipse.ini would be enough (eclipse claims it is if you follow the link in my OP).  I may fool with it a little more, but right now I'm pretty interested in getting back into programming.  I've spent a week setting up this new computer, and want to see it fly!

TIA,
Allen