Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

SqlLite and 5.0

We are in the early stages of development and are researching options for the database.  We are porting (re-writing) an existing application that has pretty major data requirements that are currently met with SqlMobile (SlqServer for CE).  I noticed that 5.0 will include SqlLite support.  There are other options such as PointBase (DataMirror) and iAnywhere, but I would welcome any suggestions.  We do require minimum 100k rows per table, must leverage non-volatile (sd, etc) storage, sql interface (1992?).

Thanks very much.

Developer

Re: SqlLite and 5.0

The 5.0 is update will not be available on all phone models. If you don't mind limiting your app to only the upgradeable phone models and only the users that upgraded, then 5.0 is your best option.

There's no JDBC in 4.x, so the SQL engine would have to be BlackBerry-specific, to fill that gap.

Cheers, Barak
New Developer

Re: SqlLite and 5.0

Thanks Barak. 

I understand that we might be sacrificing something in backwards compatibility to older blackberry os, but our release will most likely not be ready for 6 - 12 months (okay, 12).  I am guessing that the database of choice 2 years from now will be the sqlLite, and 5.0 will be old hat at that time.  So far , the JDE feels okay and having a more integrated/stable/reliable database to build on is of course attractive. 

Any other takers on this issue? Has anyone else built a fairly heavy, batch oriented relational database on the blackberry.  For what it is worth, we will be trying to leverage our existing propriety socket based (direct tcp) synchronization.

Much thanks and cheers.

Bob