Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
MeStessoMe
My Device: Not Specified

Starting development for BlackBerry

Hello

After having developed on other mobile platforms for long (especially iPhone and Python on Series60), I would like to publish my application for BlackBerry.

My application should have access to SMS messages (read them, not send), and maybe MMS too. Is it possible? If so, which environment should I use? Java?

Also, I have got a BlackBerry Pearl (I think it's 8120): is it good for development, or should I target a new os version?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Alessandro

Developer
RexDoug

Re: Starting development for BlackBerry

You will have to set up a MessageListener or open a Datagram port to listen for SMS. See the BlackBerry Java API docs.

If you are targeting the 8201 and similar, I suggest you start with JDE 4.2.1. You code will boe forward-compatible up to the Bold (but you will need a 4.7 version for the Storm).

New Developer
MeStessoMe

I'm sorry: I think I did not explain correctly what I needed... I do not need to *receive* SMS messages; instead, I need to *read* already received messages. Like, opening the archive. Is it possible?

Thanks

Developer
RexDoug

AFAIK, you cannot access the stored SMS messages using the public Java API's.

New Developer
MeStessoMe

Uhm, that's sad... And with other platforms? (like the RAD environment etc)

Or, can I access the SMS database directly? (this is what I do for the iPhone, for example: direct access to the SMS database, which is a SQLite file)