Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
PeteBarkley

Status of Message Icon

is there any way to get the status of the message icon that appears on the banner of the main screen (it looks like a little envelope). more specifically i want to know when it has the little red "*" on it.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: Status of Message Icon

Store.getUnreadMessageCount() just might be what you are looking for.

-de

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
bzubert

RexDoug is correct that getUnreadMessageCount() will tell you how many unread messages there are.  Using a FolderListener will let you know when new messages arrive, which are the trigger for the red * to show up beside the envelope icon.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800698/What_Is...

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PeteBarkley

thanks, i have been using getUnreadMessageCount() and it is not what i am looking for as it only gets the number of unread emails, and not sms messages. In the folder listener is there any way to get when that red * goes away.

I have unread email messages that i want to keep unread, but notify myself when there is a new message (red * is there) that i am not aware of and stop this notification when the red * is gone.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

I haven't found any better way to accomplish what you are looking for. Even if you set up a FolderListener on the inbox, you will not get notified for SMS. You *can* set up an SMS catcher, but then you will not get any notification when the SMS is opened or deleted.

Please use plain text.