12-11-2008 12:57 PM
Having an issue with setting up a BlackBerry project in Eclipse.
Note: if i set up the project and run it locally and store the information into SVN all works just fine. However, if I were to delete all of my local files and then pull the source code back down from SVN I am unable to get the build to function. Its just one issue after another in attempting to get my system to build with out errors. Also, when i am able to get the environment to run as Black Berry device, the compiling does not do anything at all. No jar, cod etc are created.
Can someone please tell me how to set up the environment so that I can push the code into the SVN repository and make it so that the other developers may pull the code and get to work?
12-11-2008 01:35 PM
I haven't used either tool you mention but when I see questions like " I turned my phone on and it doesn't work what should I do?" I usually suggest obtaining more information. In this case, probably command line diagnostics
can help. For example,
This most often comes up here with an IDE problem causing symptoms on the phone ( " my phone says the cod is invalid"). In this case, the phone doesn't know anything about IDE settings, it sees a jad and cod ( or tries to ).
It sounds like the build works so you might question, as you do in second paragraph, if your SVN IO is working.
If you can get some idea what SVN is expecting and what it is getting, you can probably track the problem down that way and learn how to use more general purpose tools. Then, if you can identify a particular thing that is wrong, someone familiar with the IDE may tell how to set that ( or at least you would have some terms to use to grep the documentation or feed to google).
12-11-2008 10:20 PM
I had to go through this same routine on my project, several times in fact. The end result of this is a project layout in Subversion that works with the BlackBerry Eclipse plug-in (with minimal coercion), and hopefully simple-to-follow instructions on setting up a development machine to work with it.
I recommend taking a look at the instruction I put together for my project, along with my source directory layout (easy to find by navigating the site):
Lets just say that the official BlackBerry Eclipse plug-in (in its current beta2 version) may be the best environment available, but it still has a *ton* of ugly warts. RIM knows about most of these from our e-mails to their beta support address, so hopefully the next version will fix some of them.