Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Sticky "Compatibility mode" Issue on Storm

We have a recurring problem with OS 4.7 and the Storm. It goes like this: A customer has a Curve (or other older device) and upgrades to a Storm. When he migrates to the new device, he brings over our OS 4.2 version of the applicaiton to the Storm.

Of course, the Storm recognizes that our 4.2 version is not touch-capable and places it in the "compatibility" penalty box. He then figures out that we have a Storm version on the web site, so he downloads this version.

Unfortunately, OS 4.7 has already placed the app in the penalty box, so the app is still running in compatibility mode (blue border, permanent keyboard). He finally contacts our support desk, and gets instructions to completely delete the application, reboot, and re-download the 4.7 version.

So here is the problem: sometimes this works, and sometimes it does not. We are accumulating a growing (and very upset) group of customers who are stuck forever in "compatibility mode".

Has anybody figured out a surefire method to disable this &*%^@*)(#&@ compatibility mode?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jonberry

Re: Sticky "Compatibility mode" Issue on Storm

I've had this happen a few times.

Maybe you'll just have to tell users to turn off compatiblity mode in advaced options. :mansad:

I still think the compatiblity mode was a big mistake.

Why couldn't they have just mapped touch events to NavigationMovement?

I think compatiblity mode should be OFF by default.

Let the developer or end user turn it on if they really want it.

Jon

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Thanks, we'll try the manual disable.

I have also recevied a note from RIM to set the JAD file with the following property:

RIMTouchCompatibilityMode = false

Has anybody tried this?

Please use plain text.
Retired
ttahir

I think you're missing a dash in the JAD attribute name, as explained in this knowledge base article:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800719/What_Is...

Please use plain text.
New Developer
pan_magically

[ Edited ]

Tried added the lines

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: false

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: true

It will NOT work if you are updating an existing application which was complied with a JDE older then 4.7.0. It will only work if you are doing a clean install.

Does anyone know anyway around this? Other than the following user unfriendly methods:

1) Ask the user to manually turn off Compatibility, 2) ask the user to do a clean install, 3) Rename my application package name.... (please no)

Message Edited by pan_magically on 03-12-2009 04:32 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
yog123

Hii,

I have same problem and after changing jad with above mentioned values sometimes it works but sometimes it fails to show menu to user.

Did anyone find the solution ??? RIM guys any sort of help ?? coz i dnt want to rename my app (noo!!!) .

Thanks in advance.

I hv complied my code in JDE 4.2.1

Please use plain text.
New Developer
bjockov

Using "false"  or "true" did not seem to make any difference. But using this did :

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: 0 RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: 1

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jsdf
My Device: Pearl 8120

I am in the same situation.  And, from multiple posts in various threads, it is clear that no one has come up with a viable solution.

Testing an application built with 4.3.0 on Storm 9500 simulator.

The very first try with any settings was to set:

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: true

I built and started the simulator, but then killed it realizing I wanted RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: false set instead.

After that, I have tried:

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: false

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: 1

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: 0

I have tried deleting and recreating the project in Eclipse.

I have tried uninstalling, deleting the directory, and reinstalling the Storm simulator.

In every case, the Storm simulator continues to show the application in Compatibility Mode, and in every case the menu option to 'Disable compatibility mode' is available in Options > Advanced Options > Applications

Also, strangely, I notice that the .jad file is reordered on every compile, so that RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable is at the top of the file.  I don't think (hope) this is the culprit, but thought it worth mentioning.

If I manually disable Compatibility Mode, it works nicely.  But instructing all current users to manually disable this will be.. challenging..

Suggestions on how to proceed?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jsdf
My Device: Pearl 8120

Sorry, realized this thread is already marked 'Solved.'  Starting a new thread.
Please use plain text.