Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Storm Slide Effects

What exactly triggers the slide effects when pushing Screens?

Currently It only happens on the second Screen we push, but we'd like to have a slide animation on every push/pop.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Storm Slide Effects

Currently there are no methods to allow a third party application to control screen transition effects.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Is there now a method to make a pushed screen slide in from the right/left side?

(looks not good, if the user changes sides with a SWIPE and the screen just appears....)

dognose

Developer

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, you have to invent it. On the iPhone, this is built-in. It would have been nice of RIM had exposed their API for this, but no luck.

Just a comment on iPhone vs. BlackBerry in this regard: I'm working on an application that runs on both platforms. The iPhone app was 44 classes, the BlackBerry version is 104 classes and more than 2x the code.

Why?

Because I have to invent *everything* on the BlackBerry. I used to really hate the smug Apple developers who sneered at the Blackberry, but now I see that they have something to be smug about.

So, to keep a positive attitude, I tell myself "it's job security". I sure hope RIM starts catching up so that I don't have to join the ranks of  the smug iPhone guys!

Message Edited by RexDoug on 01-24-2009 10:05 AM
Developer

hmm, okay, ill try to solve it with own code....

Sounds like much work :-)

New Developer

[ Edited ]

RexDoug wrote:

I used to really hate the smug Apple developers who sneered at the Blackberry, but now I see that they have something to be smug about.

Are they smug about running apps in the background too? what about apps continuing to run when a phone call comes in, how about something super simple and basic like copy and paste? :smileyhappy:

each platform has it's pros and cons.

Message Edited by delta_foxtrot2 on 01-25-2009 02:38 AM
New Developer

dognose wrote:

hmm, okay, ill try to solve it with own code....

Sounds like much work :-)

The simplest solution I can think of is to just clear the screen manager and plot new object onto it, rather than pushing/poping new screens.

Developer

I didn't say they had *everything* to be smug about, just *something*.  :smileyhappy:

Besides, those are "user" issues. These issues don't affect the developers.

Just take communications and web service for example: the BlackBerry program has about 20 classes where the iPhone program has maybe 40 lines of code to do exactly the same job.

Or GPS support, same kind of deal.

Or UI support: the iPhone has a pre-built MVC (you have to invent this on the BB platform).

Or UI widgets: the iPhone has all of these wonderful rich-client controls that are in stark contrast to the BlackBerry. If you have a requirement to have a particular style in your UI, then you wind up having to customize every single control in the Blackberry world (unless your style requirement is "black and white pre-1990 style").

I think that anyone who has worked on a team, side-by-side implementing the exact same functionality on the iPhone and the Storm, will probably agree with me on this one.

New Developer

RexDoug wrote:

I didn't say they had *everything* to be smug about, just *something*.  :smileyhappy:

Besides, those are "user" issues. These issues don't affect the developers.

Just take communications and web service for example: the BlackBerry program has about 20 classes where the iPhone program has maybe 40 lines of code to do exactly the same job.

Or GPS support, same kind of deal.

Or UI support: the iPhone has a pre-built MVC (you have to invent this on the BB platform).

Or UI widgets: the iPhone has all of these wonderful rich-client controls that are in stark contrast to the BlackBerry. If you have a requirement to have a particular style in your UI, then you wind up having to customize every single control in the Blackberry world (unless your style requirement is "black and white pre-1990 style").

I think that anyone who has worked on a team, side-by-side implementing the exact same functionality on the iPhone and the Storm, will probably agree with me on this one.

Ummm I find it pretty trivial to implement GPS (when the GPS functionality actually works that is, there is a lovely little no carrier no GPS bug), I've got it down to about 4 or 5 lines of code to be honest.

I wrote about 20 lines of sockets  code to replace the default http api because the overall timeout was useless, but I cheated and didn't implement everything the http api does, but then again I don'tneed everything.

I'll give you the UI point, it's a lot of hard work to make a nice looking BB interface, RIM needs to lift their game as much here as anywhere.