Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Survey: How do you spend your time while the simulator is booting?

Isn't everyone using the latest plug-in? The last update seems to work ok within reason for me and I'd recommend unless you're experiencing significant problems.

The sim boots far faster, just a few seconds sometimes, and I can finally deploy with the sim running (but I have to close any of my apps first) which is so quick the first few times I thought it hadn't worked.

Still a little way to go, but the latest release is a dramatic advance for me.

I've even changed my development approach. I now develop first for 6.0 and sort out the program logic making sure to note what is not likely to work in earlier releases.

Then it's just a question of a few unintrusive mods and one or two painful debugging sessions in 4.5 through 5.0.

If the plugin had features to allow deployment and build to App World I think RIM would be close to having shaken off it's "tough to develop for" label.

Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

br14 wrote:

Isn't everyone using the latest plug-in? The last update seems to work ok within reason for me and I'd recommend unless you're experiencing significant problems.

The sim boots far faster, just a few seconds sometimes, and I can finally deploy with the sim running (but I have to close any of my apps first) which is so quick the first few times I thought it hadn't worked.

Still a little way to go, but the latest release is a dramatic advance for me.

I've even changed my development approach. I now develop first for 6.0 and sort out the program logic making sure to note what is not likely to work in earlier releases.

Then it's just a question of a few unintrusive mods and one or two painful debugging sessions in 4.5 through 5.0.

If the plugin had features to allow deployment and build to App World I think RIM would be close to having shaken off it's "tough to develop for" label.

Not really.  The latest plug - in, while being loads better than prev iterations, still leaves ALOT to be desired.    It's painful to develop support for all 4.2 - 6.0 in Eclipse.  

I'm sure RIM would love people to develop for 6.0+ :smileyhappy:

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

I have no real issues with the new plugin except the max 3 component version thing. I don't do anything lower then 4.5 though, but don't have any real issue.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
br14
My Device: Not Specified

dnepr wrote:

Not really.  The latest plug - in, while being loads better than prev iterations, still leaves ALOT to be desired.    It's painful to develop support for all 4.2 - 6.0 in Eclipse.  

I'm sure RIM would love people to develop for 6.0+ :smileyhappy:

I have a separate set up for 4.5 - 5.0 

If you check the in market devices, something like 75% are now OS5 and above. There seems little point in developing new apps at least for 4.7.1 and below. (Based on the likelihood of a gradual tail off of 4.7.1 and earlier over the next year). We'll support and upgrade existing apps but with less frequency.

And the comparison was intended as relative. The latest plugin is a vast improvement over the first iteration of the BlackBerry eclipse plug-in. And while it still does have too many bugs, I've found development time lines in OS 6 to be much faster.

Once we complete the OS 6 development, we retrofit to 5.0 and where necessary earlier releases. The time saved developing in OS 6 is worth the extra effort.

Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Without the debugger the simulator actually loads fairly fast (15-20 seconds).

In the time where I do have to wait I practice juggling...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com