Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Ted_Hopp
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Switching workspaces in Eclipse

I have been developing projects in Eclipse using the 4.2.1 component pack. I now want to develop a project using the 4.7.0 component pack. I created a new Eclipse workspace with its own BlackBerry project and workspace and set it to use the 4.7.0 component pack. When I switch back to the older workspace, the component pack is still set to 4.7.0 and I have to set it back to 4.2.1, at which point insists on cleaning all the projects. When I switch back to the 4.7.0 workspace, the same thing happens. This is not exactly a productivity aid.

Is there some way to configure things so each Eclipse workspace maintains its own component preferences?

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

Re: Switching workspaces in Eclipse

Bump

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Please use plain text.
Developer
cagdasgerede

An idea (not so great):

Use 2 copies of eclipse. Copy/paste your eclipse directory (program files not the workspace).

Now you can set different JDE versions. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

This sounds like it should work. I'll give this a try if there's nothing better. At 1.2GB per copy of Eclipse, though, and no shortage of target BlackBerry platforms, I might be shopping for a bigger hard drive sooner than expected. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
cagdasgerede

Another idea much better than my previous one:

Under your eclipse directory there is a file which keeps your JDE location:

C:\eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32\eclipse\configuration\.settings\net.rim.eide.keys.Configuration.prefs 

This is what I have:

#Mon Aug 03 16:46:37 PDT 2009
WORKSPACE.USER.BUILD=true
eclipse.preferences.version=1
JAVA.SDK.HOME=
RIM.SDK.HOME=C\:\\eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.3.0_4.3.0.13\\components\\bin
RIM.SDK.DOCS=C\:\\eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.3.0_4.3.0.13\\components\\docs\\api

Make two copies. One pointing to 4.7, other pointing to 4.3 (see net.rim.eide.componentpack4.3.0_4.3.0.13 vs. )

#Mon Aug 03 16:46:37 PDT 2009
WORKSPACE.USER.BUILD=true
eclipse.preferences.version=1
JAVA.SDK.HOME=
RIM.SDK.HOME=C\:\\eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.7.0_4.7.0.36\\components\\bin
RIM.SDK.DOCS=C\:\\eclipse-SDK-3.4.1-win32\\eclipse\\plugins\\net.rim.eide.componentpack4.7.0_4.7.0.36\\components\\docs\\api

When you want to work with 4.3, replace net.rim.eide.keys.Configuration.prefs  with 4.3 version. When you want to work with 4.7, then replace it with 4.7 version.

Hope it helps. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
cagdasgerede

Let me know if that worked for you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ted_Hopp

Works like a charm! :smileyhappy: Now I just have to remember all the steps (or write a script or something) to do all this switching (and also remember to not switch workspaces within Eclipse).

What a shame that RIM wrote the plugin to use a single, global setting like this. I think it qualifies as a design defect. In my ideal world, I would be able to independently set the build configuration (as well as have multiple build configurations, each with its own output folder) for each project in a workspace. But that's not available even in the JRE. A realistic hope would be that the plugin could keep the target platform on a per-workspace basis rather than globally. I hope RIM is working on a new plugin that includes this feature.

Please use plain text.