Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
nereus
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Syncing Blackberry with own data?

Hello

I know  nothing about the Blackberry software environment, and would like to know if it's possible to sync my data (Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes) without going through Outlook, either directly or through the Desktop Manager.
Although I understand Java to be the main language/tool to write apps for Blackberry, ideally, I'd rather write a .Net app instead.
Any info appreciated.
Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Syncing Blackberry with own data?

So are you trying to write a program or to sync data (only)? If you are just trying to sync data then you are in the wrong forum, if you are trying to write a program (that syncs data) then this is the correct form.

So answer that first then tell us what Device and API version you are using/developing with. It makes it easier for us to come up with an answers.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nereus

I'm trying to write a .Net program to sync data between a Windows application and Blackberry smartphones. Can this be done, either directly, or through Desktop Manager?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

That might take some work because the only way to connect to the BlackBerry from a computer is through the Desktop Manager (see the "desktop" sample that come with the API). As for actually syncing data, I have no real experence but you might be able to figure some stuff out from that sample I mentioned (it seems to backup the contacts on the phone).

You will probably need to do some PInvokes in order to access it from a .Net program but .Net takes care of much of the hassle.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

[ Edited ]

Actually I just checked and you should have a very easy time doing this (if you have Desktop Manager 6.0 and higher) because as of 6.0 the Desktop Manager is written in .Net.

By easy I mean you can simply import it and use it, no porting and work arounds needed but it is unsupported by RIM and there is no public API for it so you would have to do a bunch of trial and error.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
nereus

Thanks for the tip. I'll read the samples and see how to do this.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

Well the samples use C\C++. There was a file mentioned in the sample that I couldn't find and I noticed the files for Desktop Manager seem to be like a .Net app, checked it out and it was a .Net app. But the samples are not made for them and I don't know how to interface with the Desktop Manager with .Net anyway so you would need to self teach yourself how to do this.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.