Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
jcnielsen
My Device: Dev Alpha B

TCP/IP: 'APN Setting Enabled' check box

[ Edited ]

Hi

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but I didn't now about it untill now: The famous 'APN Settings Enabled' check box is more of a 'TCP/IP on/off' check box.

Today I discovered, that if you have an application that runs through a list of APN settings in order to do TCP/IP connection, the 'APN Settings Enabled' check box has to be checked to get connection. This is really odd. Somebody at BlackBerry should rename it. I thought is was ok just to create that darn ';deviceside=true;apn=...' string after the URL to get a connection - but no. I suppose there is no way to set that check box via code?

That is all I wanted to share :-)

Br
J. C. Nielsen

Attended DEVCON 2010

Free Tibet
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: TCP/IP: 'APN Setting Enabled' check box

I heard another rumor: that on AT&T you need to have this checkbox unchecked. Can anybody with an AT&T BlackBerry disprove this one?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Hm... My tests show that on Vodafone UK it's perfectly OK to have the "APN Settings Enabled" checkbox unchecked as long as you provide the APN explicitly in the connection URL (i.e., apn=...). Everything works as expected: the application connects via Direct TCP via the APN specified in the connection URL.

Developer
jcnielsen
My Device: Dev Alpha B

Hi

Thanks for the repsonses.

Ok, that is really odd. I suppose the only thing I can do is to advice the user to set the check box to the opposite value in case I get a problem.

Br
J. C. Nielsen

Attended DEVCON 2010

Free Tibet