Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
frandelbetis
My Device: Blackberry playbook
Accepted Solution

TableLayoutManager doesn´t put the focus in manager with two focusable elements

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I´m using TableLayoutManager in my project. This is an example of my problem:

I have this code:

public MyScreen() {
		setTitle("TableLayoutManager_Example");

VerticalFieldManager vfm0 = new VerticalFieldManager();
		vfm0.setBorder(BorderFactory.createSimpleBorder(new XYEdges(10, 10, 10, 10), Border.STYLE_TRANSPARENT));
		VerticalFieldManager vfm = new VerticalFieldManager();
		vfm.setBorder(BorderFactory.createRoundedBorder(new XYEdges(5, 5, 5, 5)));

TableLayoutManager table = new TableLayoutManager(new int[] { TableLayoutManager.USE_PREFERRED_SIZE,
				TableLayoutManager.SPLIT_REMAINING_WIDTH, }, null, 0, Manager.NO_HORIZONTAL_SCROLL
				| Manager.NO_VERTICAL_SCROLL);

LabelField lb=new LabelField("Label1    ");
		HorizontalFieldManager hfm=new HorizontalFieldManager();
		TextField tf=new TextField();
		LabelField lb2=new LabelField("Label2",Field.FOCUSABLE);
		tf.setText("Text");
		tf.setMaxSize(5);

hfm.add(lb2);
		hfm.add(tf);

LabelField lb3=new LabelField("Label3");
		LabelField lb4=new LabelField("Label4",Field.FOCUSABLE);

table.add(lb);
		table.add(hfm);
		table.add(new SeparatorField());
		table.add(new SeparatorField());
		table.add(lb3);
		table.add(lb4);

vfm.add(table);
		vfm0.add(vfm);
		add(vfm0);
}

The problem is that I can´t put the focus in the TextField. If I just add to table the components lb and hfm  it works, but If I add others focusable components (like example) I can´t put the focus in the TextField, the focus set in Label4:

85202.png

What can I do?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: TableLayoutManager doesn´t put the focus in manager with two focusable elements

TableLayoutManager was written to handle one focusable element per 'cell' and as a result, will move focus to the next cell on focus movement events.  Have a good look at the navigationMovement() method to get an idea of the assumptions and the impact that this has. 

I don't think there is no easy way around this other than re-writing the focus movement methods in TableLayoutManager to detect that the cell has multiple possibilities and pass control to it for these events.  This would be doable, and if I was better and these things I might think it would be easy, but this is not something I am very good at.  Perhaps some other forum contributor might help if you decide that is what you want to do. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
frandelbetis

Re: TableLayoutManager doesn´t put the focus in manager with two focusable elements

Finally, I´ve replaced the TableLayoutManager for GridFieldManager. However, I´m going to continue investigating about focus movement methods, like you´ve said me.

If I discover something, I will post it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
frandelbetis

I´ve found a good solution. I´ve overwritten the navigationMovement method of TableLayoutManager. This is the code:

/**
	 * Navigation movement to allow for both cell to cell within a columns and row movement
	 */
	protected boolean navigationMovement(int dx, int dy, int status, int time) {
		int focusIndex = getFieldWithFocusIndex();
		int dirY = (dy > 0) ? 1 : -1;
		int absY = Math.abs(dy);

for (int y = 0; y < absY; y++) {
			focusIndex += _columns * dirY;
			if (focusIndex < 0 || focusIndex >= getFieldCount()) {
				//#ifdef BlackBerrySDK4.5.0
				this.invalidate(); //ref #217
				//#endif
				return false;
			} else {
				Field f = getField(focusIndex);
				if (f.isFocusable()) {
					f.setFocus();
				} else
					y--; // do it over again
			}
		}

int dirX = (dx > 0) ? 1 : -1;
		int absX = Math.abs(dx);
		for (int x = 0; x < absX; x++) {
			focusIndex += dirX;
			if (focusIndex < 0 || focusIndex >= getFieldCount()) {
				//#ifdef BlackBerrySDK4.5.0
				this.invalidate(); //Ref #217
				//#endif
				return false;
			} else {
				Field f = getField(focusIndex);
				if (f.isFocusable()) {
////////////////////////NEW CODE /////////////////////////////////////
if(f instanceof Manager){ int fieldsInManager=((Manager)f).getFieldCount(); if(fieldsInManager>0){ for(int i=0;i<fieldsInManager;i++){ Field field=((Manager)f).getField(i); if(field.isFocusable()){ field.setFocus(); } } } } ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// } else x--; // do it over again } focusIndex += dirX; } //#ifdef BlackBerrySDK4.5.0 this.invalidate(); //ref #217 //#endif return true; }

I look for a manager inside the cell. If I found it, I set the focus in its elements. This works with a manager with one or more focusable elements. 

85200000.png

If you see it right, you could add this code to your original code 

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Not sure your code copes with both left and right trackpad movements properly.  That said, it is along the lines I was thinking when I posted previously.  I think there are Manager focus methods, like nextFocus that might make it easier to figure out.  Your approach is a little 'bruteforce', I suspect there are better ways. 

Anyway, if it is working well enough for you, great.  I think your code would be a good start for the next person who has this problem. 

Please use plain text.