Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
jonberry
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The HTTP Connections mess (and the terrible design decisions)

peter_strange wrote:

You may have noticed that DevCon is coming up.  Rim announces things at DevCon.  One of the things that they could announce is BIS-B access for all.  Don't mind having to apply for it.

So go on RIM - announce BIS-B for all - you know you want to!

Or they could just announce a new platform that would fix all these problems. :smileytongue:

Come on RIM, you know you want to!

Developer
YamilBracho
My Device: 8520

Android in Blackerry ? :smileyhappy:

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Keep dreaming. That would be like Microsoft saying to use Mac OS-X instead of Windows, or Google keeping data private. It just won't happen.

I would say a 3rd party library would take some work but is quite possible... and it could end up a system library that comes with the OS (look at zxing).

As for docs... that one is harder. Microsoft, Apple, Google, and Nokia all have their API, samples, and information all in the same general location. RIM on the other hand has cut-and-dried javadoc-created JavaDocs (with minor post processing most likely done by a automated utility). Your not going to find a true how to in those APIs. Then the samples require you to install the dev-tools or search the forums. How-to docs are almost exclusively the forums.

An idea was thrown around some time ago for a Wiki site but no one has taken the motive (maybe because of money, maybe time, maybe they are waiting for someone else to do it).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
YamilBracho
My Device: 8520

It depends on RIM thinking about its business orientattion. Selling devices or apps ?

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Last time I checked it was both and the addition of other services (VOIP, BES, as Peter said we were told BIS-B would be free at some point, they say they are working on an ad platform [I am expecting official release this DevCon], the companies they own (like Docs-to-Go and QNX [I think it was QNX])).

Their platform is big, they dev community is growing. Get enough devs together and suddenly you can say "We need this [name item here]" and annoy the heck out of them till they do (as long as it fits in with their platform, AKA security. I doubt phone call recording is comming anytime soon.) They have been doing pretty good at adding features devs want but they need to make the OS that they are in avalible for more of their older phones.

It isn't too hard to add the "isSupported" function to a bunch of classes and put them as false so they can strip out unsupported code and get it to fit on an older phone. I blame the carriers for not actually letting the OS go on the phone (for me, as what happened with OS6 and the Storm2 [still crossing my fingers for a leak])

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.