Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
scrivomcdivo
My Device: Not Specified

Too Difficult for a Noob??

Greetings from the UK and a Happy Easter to fellow forum members.

I am new to development and have no experience what-so-ever of developing apps but I'm hoping to give it a go and succeed (hopefully!!!). I don't have any knowledge of Java neither nor any other scripting language.

What I'm hoping to develop is a cross-platform app (for BB Curve, Bold, Storm etc...) that is a language guide. The use firstly select their language from a list and then once selected, a further list then appears with say 20 phrases or so. The user then selects a phrase from this list and the user is then taken to the translation of the respective phrase in the language selected by the user.

Is this a nightmare project for a Noob like myself or is this possible?

Thanks once again all :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Developer
webmasterpdx

Re: Too Difficult for a Noob??

OK, first, if you are talking the language of text in the application. Each development environment has their own way of doing this. So, that's kind of a pointless app.

If you are talking about translating programming languages, they don't translate like that.

There is a J2me type IDE for the Iphone, but it'd be easier to just develop in Objective C and J2ME on the blackberry and Android.

So, if I were you, and you seriously want to develop for your phone. Then first, go to the list at the top of this section of recommended links and read them all. Learn Java first and then J2ME and write your own "hello world" app. Thats where I'd start.

I think then you'll get a better feel for why the app you are suggesting is probably not realistic.

Thx

-D

===============

Donald Murray

CTO IPPUB

"If this helped you, please click on Kudos for this post"

Please use plain text.
New Developer
scrivomcdivo

WedMasterPDX, thanks for the reply.

I don't actually want the app to actually process / translate anything. I have a list of 20 phrases in English for example and I already have them translated into Russian. I want the user to be able to select the English phrases from a list and push a button on the BB. Once pushed, the app will reveal the Russian translation for that phrases. Does that make sense? So in theory, it's a phrasebook that is prepopulated with translations for specific phrases and just to make it more user friendly, I want it so that the user can select respective phrases as opposed to scrolling through pages

Please use plain text.
Developer
baskaraninfo
My Device: BB 8320

[ Edited ]

Yes, its a do-able project only.

You need to get some introduction about java and j2me in particular.

Then you need to go through some sample application available with BlackBerry JDE download.

There after you can start developing your own applications and need to refer the documentation then and there.

Best of luck for your application development for BlackBerry device :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by baskaraninfo on 04-13-2009 07:10 AM

Use Search. "Accept Solution" if the problem gets resolved.
Please use plain text.
Developer
mantaker
My Device: Torch 9810

Have a look at this sticky thread by tbilisoft 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=13264#M13264

A good place to start with..

Cheers... 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
Please use plain text.
Developer
webmasterpdx

If it's just language and you are doing it on one phone it's actually easy. The blackberry JDE has a really good string resource management, so you can store as many strings as you want so when you select the language, the string will change. This is really to allow applications to be written and then if the use is russian, they choose russian as their language, and the whole app will render any text in russian.

To find out about that, look up resource management for strings/text.

Then again, you could do your own, which is just a file or database containing the multiple phrases in multiple languages and the user selecting a letter and it could read in all the phrases in that language  and he could scroll through them. When he selects the right one, you just read in the same line from the "russian file or database".

Good Luck.

-Donald

Please use plain text.