Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
WorkHorse
My Device: Simulator - 9800

Toolbar for Blackberry Bold

I am trying to implement a toolbar for my application. The toolbar documentation from RIM indicates that only Torch and Storm devices are supported. Does anyone you know an alternative approach where I can have a toolbar for all newer Blackberry devices, including the Blackberry Bold?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Toolbar for Blackberry Bold

Toolbars are much less useful on devices that are not touch screen.  You can jump to the Toolbar, you typically have to scroll to it.  So if the toolbar is at the other end of the screen to where you are, that can be a lot of scrolling. 

I would think carefully about the user= of a Toolbar on a non touchscreen device. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
WorkHorse

Hey Thanks for the reply, would you still recommend putting a toolbar for the new blackberry bold, the touchscreen one?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

That is a tough call, because as the 9900 has a Landscape format screen, a tool bar that is touchable (which means it has to be at least 0.7 cm high) takes up a lot of space. 

Probably not, but depends on other things as well. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
WorkHorse

My issue at the moment is that I have an application which was left to me that is only partially completed, but implements the toolbar class. I did some research and on the RIM reference guide (http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/18125/Toolbar_1247236_11.jsp) it states "Only smartphones in the BlackBerry® Storm™ Series and BlackBerry® Torch™ 9800 smartphones use toolbars." So then I have a bit of a problem since the app needs to be applicable to all major BB devices, including the bold which apparently doesn't suppor this feature. I don't know what my options are so far; do I scrap the toolbar for the other devices or implement another solution?

Please use plain text.
Developer
paulkayuk
My Device: Curve 8520

I hit the same problem with the current app I am developing. The Toolbar will only show on Storm and Torch devices, for other devices you will need to develop an alternative. Which alternative route you take will very much depend on the UI of the screen where you need it. As Peter indicates if your screen has a long scrolling section, then the alternative of adding simulated toolbar buttons to a custom manager, and then adding this to the status field, will involve the user in a lot of scrolling to focus on the them. But this may be an option for you if the UI at this point has a reasonably short format. If the UI is e.g. a long scrollable list, and the Toolbar is for actions preformed against the selected item, then the alternative may be a custom pop-up dialog with the Toolbar options replicated.

This first time, I would try a few alternatives, and test them for usability, then you will have a strategy to adopt for similar future cases.
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

We developed our own toolbar class before the toolbar was available in the RIM API's.

We crafted ours so that it is usable on touch and non-touch devices. On non-touch devices, you do a horizontal roll on the track ball to get the toolbar, then click on the selection.

Since the toolbar is not very complicated to implement, you might want to consider this.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
WorkHorse

Thank you for the reply guys! RexDoug I'm fairly new to BB development so I would have no idea where to start to get the horizontal trigger to bring up the menu. Do you think a pop up menu would be effective as an alternative to a toolbar? The concern then stems from the fact that what is the most user friendly way to pop up the menu.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Look at the method navigationMovement(dx,dy)

movement of the trackball (or pointing device) is passed here.

A horizontal movement would be a delta in  'x', but not of 'y'.

I believe that ourt toolbar is just a sublass of HorizontalFieldManager. It's not that horrible.

Of course, you can certainly use the Menu key and wire up a menu. It's an "expected" UI for trackball devices.

Please use plain text.