If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
itsandybra
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Vodafone

Trial app

Hello,

I want to create a 7 day trial for my app. The problem is I don't have the expertise to create a server which the trial application connects to to check the trial status (ie register first run, check if trial has expired etc). I want to rather make the app create a file somewhere in the device memory to record the date of first install. Where do you suggest I put this file?

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Trial app

PersistentStore.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
itsandybra

A persistent store is deleted if the app is uninstalled, so a user could just uninstall the trial and reinstall it to use it indefinitely?
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

"A persistent store is deleted if the app is uninstalled,"

Only if it uses a class specific to the application.  If it uses standard RIM classes, it is not deleted. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
itsandybra

[ Edited ]

peter_strange wrote:

"A persistent store is deleted if the app is uninstalled,"

Only if it uses a class specific to the application.  If it uses standard RIM classes, it is not deleted. 

Thanks Peter, what class would you recommend I use? Would just a string be fine?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

String will work, but I would put a collection class in there, so that you can add to it.  My favorite at the moment is intHashtable.  I used to use Vector.  So add a Collection class, and then add as one of the Collection, the String. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Please use plain text.