Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Trusted Application Status prompt

I have a signed application, built with JDE 4.2.1, which uses a number of privileged APIs. On most devices, I can install this application from a URL and it operates fine. On devices that are tied to BlackBerry Enterprise Server I get a series of prompts for each of the privileged APIs that the app accesses, as if the code signing has been ignored.

Now I'm attempting to install the application to a BlackBerry Bold running OS 4.6 and I'm getting a new prompt at install time asking if I want to grant "Trusted Application Status" to this application. Despite accepting this message, I am recieving the multiple prompts for various privileged APIs that I used to see on BES devices even though this device is not provisioned with BES.

Has something changed with newer devices or OS versions that require these additional prompts? Are these security policy changes provider-specific? All of these prompts provide an unsatisfactory user experience and I'd like to find a way to minimize them.

New Developer

Re: Trusted Application Status prompt

Signing only enables your app to call a special API, it doesn't give it permission to.  A user's security settings can still be set to disable or question a particular operation like HTTP.  Said another way, signing is necessary but not sufficient. 

You should look at the ApplicationPermissions class which is related to the Trusted Application stuff (though ApplicationPermissions has its own issues...).

New Developer

this trusted security prompt is available in Device Software 4.6 or later, it has 2 option

If the user selects "Yes", then your application will be given all the permissions commonly needed for normal execution, i.e. all permissions will be set to “Allow” with the exception of:
  • Prompt - Recording, Security Timer Reset
  • Deny - Input Simulation, Browser Filtering, Display Information While Locked
Alternatively, if the user selects "No", it's not the end of the world; it just means that your application will be given the default set of permissions. For BlackBerry smartphones that are connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, all permissions are set to “Allow” with the exception of:
  • Prompt - Recording, Phone, Location Data, Server Network, Internet
  • Deny - Browser Filtering, Input Simulation, Security Timer Reset, Display Information While Locked

For smartphones that are not connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, all permissions are set to “Allow” with the exception of:
  • Prompt - Recording, Phone, Location Data
  • Deny - Browser Filtering, Input Simulation, Security Timer Reset, Display Information While Locked

Hope that's Help

Developer

You might find this video tells you more about this status and the other security options:

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=SecurityPrompts

My Device: bold
My Carrier: at&t

purbohadi wrote:

this trusted security prompt is available in Device Software 4.6 or later, it has 2 option

If the user selects "Yes", then your application will be given all the permissions commonly needed for normal execution, i.e. all permissions will be set to “Allow” with the exception of:
  • Prompt - Recording, Security Timer Reset
  • Deny - Input Simulation, Browser Filtering, Display Information While Locked
Alternatively, if the user selects "No", it's not the end of the world; it just means that your application will be given the default set of permissions. For BlackBerry smartphones that are connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, all permissions are set to “Allow” with the exception of:
  • Prompt - Recording, Phone, Location Data, Server Network, Internet

For smartphones that are not connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, all permissions are set to “Allow” with the exception of:
  • Prompt - Recording, Phone, Location Data

Hope that's Help

What if i accidentally did not give an application trusted status and no realize I want it to have trusted status?  Is there a way to go back and give it trusted status after the fact?