Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mattgaunt
My Device: Not Specified

UI Design - Where to start / how to approach it?

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

I've recently been creating some apps for blackberry which run in the background, so very little on the front end side of things. I start looking at design the UI for apps in blackberry and so far it seems to be pretty hard to find any example code to do the simplest of tasks.

I was just wondering how it is recommend to approach UI design, should I be using MDS Studio? Should I code the whole thing in the code?

Are there any guides to how positioning is handled in bb? Also how are background images dealt with on bb screens when they can vary so much in size?

Literally any help would be great, at the moment I have an image on the screen which Im trying to center and struggling with that.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

Edit: Also just so know one thinks I'm being lazy, I did Google the hell out of this question, many times getting here, one post had2 links but both are now dead and I couldn't find their replacement, so apologies if this question is answered many times on here and I've missed, but I honestly couldn't find any solutions

Message Edited by mattgaunt on 07-23-2009 10:03 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
bikas

Re: UI Design - Where to start / how to approach it?

Go through this thread for placing your image at the center of the screen.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=43691#M43691

Also check this sticky post of tbilisoft.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&thread.id=13264

Regards

Bikas

Please use plain text.
Developer
bsmith138

What UI tasks are you looking to do?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

mds studio is only for rapid development, it does not allow much customization.

UI handling on the BB is a bit painful but you get used to it.

you can place fields in an absolute layout or use one of the several manager classes RIM provides. Or write them yourself.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mattgaunt

Cheers for the help,

I had a look at the links included and got the centering in the end.

I think the main thing I can't get my head around is, blackberry screens sizes differ so much, so the screen I would of thought, can't be absolutely laid out. Therefore turn to the managers, which I can see horizontal and vertical managers can do most of the work I'd ever want after a little fiddling, but so fields dont have a way of adding padding, I know labels have setPosition but BitmapFields don't, do I need to override this classes to get some form of padding?

Cheers,

Matt

Please use plain text.