Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

UI Fields Trickery

I have a screeen with about 12 fields could be more. I try to separate them with SeparatorField() but I still don't like the cluttered look.

I'm thinking to create 4 groups of fields and each group has a check box as the head field.The group of fields can be a mix of EditField/ListField/LabelField/CheckField. Checking and unchecking the head Checkbox field would expand or contract the sections.

I don't know exactly how to proceed. I imaging in need to add and remove the fields programmatically and shift lower fields up for a compressed look.

Has anyone done something similar? any suggestions.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: UI Fields Trickery

It's a matter of aesthetics, but I would think about whether it might make more sense to use a drill-down methodology rather than put everything on one screen, ie: display "section" headers on one screen which, when clicked, will take the user to a detail screen where section-specific components are.  Seems like that would address the clutter and make for a simpler implementation.  Otherwise, it can surely be done but it might take some work since laying out UIs (esp when using custom Managers) on a BlackBerry can be time consuming. 
Developer

Re add/remvoing fields, you might like to review this Thread.  You will want to put your optional Fields in their own Manager, and then add/remove the Manager.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=5214

Developer

Thanks guys. I'll review both methods and see which one works for me.

thanks.

Developer

The task of using multiple managers was easy enough to implement. I have the four sections expanding and contracting as needed using field listener for the for section. Just need to add some final touches on the layout.

Thanks for sharing that link Peter.

Have a great weekend everyone.