Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
MN
My Device: Not Specified

UI Library used by multiple applications - How to package it to minimize footprint on device?

Hi,

I am building a UI library that will be used by multiple applications.

I understand that you can achieve reuse by adding the UI Library as a JAR file to a Library project in each of the applications' Workspace.

But my worry is the footprint on the device... will the UI Library get included in each and every applications' COD?

Is there a way to deploy the UI Library once, and simply have all the applications "reference" the single COD/Jar?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: UI Library used by multiple applications - How to package it to minimize footprint on device?

You could create a library project that is referenced by all of your applications.  Please see the following link for more information.

What Is - A library and how to use it
Article Number: DB-00012

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/What_Is_-_A_li...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
richard_puckett
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: UI Library used by multiple applications - How to package it to minimize footprint on device?

Please correct me if I'mw wrong, but my experience says that there's no notion of a "shared" library on BlackBerry.  So, say you create a UI library and install it with App A.  When you then install it along with App B the device will uninstall the library associated with App A (along with App A?) so it can install the one you're including with App B.  What this meant for me was that, yes, I had to install multpile applications at around 400K each rather than install one big shared library and then install little 20K apps which could all use that library.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bwei
My Device: Not Specified

Are there any DLL concepts  in the BB platform?
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

richard_puckett wrote:

Please correct me if I'mw wrong, but my experience says that there's no notion of a "shared" library on BlackBerry. 

at least our modified ksoap-jar is installed only once - but it is referenced as an imported jar-file.

the reason for me not to use this concept with my ui library is that i modify it a lot. that is not a problem for all maintained applications (continuum bombards me until i fix all related projects) but if a client uses a software that relies on the old version and it is replaced it ceases to work.
if i go and install the library in different versions the argument of the saved space is no longer valid.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.