Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

UI development

[ Edited ]

hi,

I m really stuck with this.

Need to develop a screen with countries list in the middle of the screen with vertical scroll , button like appearance.

On selecting one of the country,a coulmn of the country display at left with selected country name written on that (from bottom to top).

List of cities displayed in rows, paralelly.

same happend when you select a city, places of that city papulated.

I just want to know , can i develop this scenario without using canvass.?e.g using Managers

I have worked a little bit in canvas development.

please give me some suggestions.

Any related link will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards

Behind me is infinite power,
Before me is Endless Possibility,
Around me is Boundless Opportunity,
Why should I fear!
Developer
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Re: UI development

Yes, it is very possible.  You'll need:

1 HorizontalFieldManager for placing countries, cities and places side-by-side;

3 VerticalFieldManager(VERTICAL_SCROLL) - each one holds the corresponding category (countries, cities, places) and allows it to scroll. In order to fit on the screen you will need to override their sublayout() to give them the width you want.

3 ListField - each one is populated with items from one category. To show them on the screen, add them to the corresponding VerticalFieldManager. To hide - delete. To substitute one list with another - prepare that new list in the background then replace.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Really thankful for your reply,

i got a good idea ,i will implement this today and let u know.

One more thing, how i can fit this coloumn with country name in left side of the following image.

Thanks again.

Thanks & Regards

Behind me is infinite power,
Before me is Endless Possibility,
Around me is Boundless Opportunity,
Why should I fear!
Developer
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Study Font.derive() - there are ways to rotate the letters. You'll have to put them manually one by one separately - drawText() does not draw vertically.

What you want to achieve, though, is not trivial, but you can start with simpler approximations and slowly work your way to your goal.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!