Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
marcofpnunes
My Device: Curve 9360
Accepted Solution

UID for NFC Mifare Tag emulation

Hello,

I am searching for documentation to use BlackBerry NFC in the access control at my company...

If anyone can help me I appreciate...

I can emulate a smart tag 14444TypeA tag but everytime I want to read the UID all I can get is the RID...

With this it's impossible to use the BB in access control once the number never is the same...

When I read the emulated card in one reader the Listener for Callback is launched but in the Access Control readers it never happens....

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Retired
mwoolley
My Device: Z10

Re: UID for NFC Mifare Tag emulation

Hello

when you say "read the UID" I assume you mean you are reading the UID from the emulated tag via your reader as opposed to reading the UID from within your BlackBerry application?

If so, here's the problem; the constructor below:

public VirtualISO14443Part4TypeATarget(VirtualISO14443Part4TargetCallback callback,
                                       String identifier,
                                       byte[] historicalBytes)

includes an identifier parameter. This is, unfortunately, ignored. It was originally intended to allow the UID to be set in the emulated card but it was recognised that this could give rise to security concerns and so the API was changed to ignore this parameter. It had to stay in the constructor so as to not change the interface.

Hope this explains your problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcofpnunes

Hi,

You assume correctly.

I am triing to use it in access control... cause if we have the identifier... we have the access control possibility.

I already has a suspicious that this was the response...

Well, dispite the Security Concerns, NFC stays completly under expectations if we can't go around this issue...

Do you know any alternative for access control using the BB?

Please use plain text.
Retired
mwoolley

OK, thanks. Sorry it wasn't good news.

One alternative is to use a solution which is based on proper card emulation using a secure element rather than virtual target emulation. Such a solution would include the use of cryptography for authentication and key management aspects for personalising each emulated card in a secure way.

It all depends on the system you are authenticating against of course.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcofpnunes

:smileyhappy:

Even thougth ... it's not bad news :smileywink:

Ok...

I am new at BlackBerry and if possible i ask you for some help... :smileyhappy:

My access control uses HID iClass readers...

If i understand right, looking in a low level perpective, if i use a secure element instead of the virtual card (virtual target), i really can emulate with UID?

All i have to do is to work with a SIM with a Secure Element and get it's ID every time the blackberry approaches the reader?

How to pass that ID using BB API?

Sorry if those aro too many questions... 

I thank you for your quick replies

Please use plain text.
Retired
mwoolley

Hi

You won't be able to use the SIM without the agreement of the carrier who owns the SIM.The BlackBerry range of NFC enabled devices has an internal, embedded secure element. You'd need RIM's permission to use this however.

Beyond that, I suspect developing an HID iClass emulation is a lot more complex than simply emulating the card's ID. You need to understand the protocol and crytographic system used between the "card" and the reader. Whether this is openly published or private to HID, you will have to establish. This URL is aimed at developers and may be a start:

http://www.hidglobal.com/main/developers/sio-processor/

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcofpnunes

Thank you for your attention.

I will start from here.

Kind Regards

Please use plain text.