Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
ricken
My Device: Not Specified

Unable to install two applications and one library separately using updatejad

Hello,

I try to install a library with my application.

the problem is that people can also download another application with my library.

Here is the detail :

MyApp1.cod

MyLibrary.cod

MyApp2.cod

MyLibrary.cod

After installing MyApp1 which works with MyLibrary, I've tried to install MyApp2 via ota (browser)

And it ask me to replace MyApp1 with MyApp2 because MyApp2 contains MyLibrary too.

So Myapp1 was uninstalled after the device reboots :smileysad:

I see only MyApp* in options->applications and not MyLibrary (I saw it in modules of MyApp*)

If I install standalone MyLibrary it removes MyApp* from the blackberry

How can I have MyApp1, MyApp2 and MyLibrary installed over the air?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Unable to install two applications and one library separately using updatejad

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure what OS version you are using, but this has been a problem for ages that does not seem likely to be fixed anytime soon. I opened a ticket for it once and it was closed saying they may look into it in the future. The way I handle this is to install everything separately (except with AppWorld which does not allow you to do so). The apps I sell outside of AppWorld generate an email on sales, and I use this to email the purchaser a link to the library file to install. As far as AppWorld goes, I don't know what to tell you other than get ready for the ride.

It is much more difficult there as you need to keep up with what version of the library file each application contains. You also run into the issue that if you give them external links to reinstall everything separately then it no longer shows up in MyWorld inside AppWorld, so I don't know if it tracks updates then.

A lot of developers just include the library with each application instead of as a separate install, but I dislike having to update 15+ applications everytime I find a bug or make an optimization. So I stick with the "broken" way of doing things.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ricken

Re: Unable to install two applications and one library separately using updatejad

Hello,

Thanks for your response, this is exactly the same problem and I use the 5.0 OS...

Installing my application and the library separately is a really bad user experience :smileysad:

If the user omit to install the library, he will get a really poor error message without any explications :/

Thanks again for your response,

Best,

Ricken

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

Never had a problem like this.

Is MyApp1 and MyApp2 have the same module names?

I routinely run 3+ apps using the same shared libraries.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ricken

Hello,

Both have different names.

The problem is, I've used updatejad to merge jads, for installing library and application at same time ota.

Now my library appears as module of MyApp1 and not as a standalone application.

For example, I can't uninstall only the library, it will be uninstalled when I uninstall MyApp1 and I don't want this.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.