Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
xoheb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Uninstalling / updating a Java application

Hi.

I created a JDE Application (let's call it AppX) and placed abc.jad, abc.cod and abc.jar files on a webserver. I downloaded the abc.jad file through my blackberry browser and proceeded to successfully install the application. I could see the icon for AppX on my blackberry. I could launch the application. Everything worked fine.

A few days later, I decided to rename the .jad, .cod and .jar files. So I renamed them to AppX.jad, AppX.cod and AppX.jar files; I also updated the contents of the AppX.jad file to reflect these changes and finally placed the three files on the webserver again. Again, using the blackberry browser, I downloaded and installed the app.

And wola! I now have two AppX icons on my blackberry. And two separate applications!

Here's what I want to achieve: I want to keep the files named AppX.* but i do NOT want two separate applications and icons on my blackberry. Specifically:

1. Is there a way to update/ override the previous installation of the program when I download AppX.jad? How would it be accomplished?
  2. I tried to uninstall/ delete the earlier AppX application by going to options->advanced options->applications on by blackberry but my app (AppX) was nowhere to be found! How can I delete/ uninstall the application?
  3. Is there a way I can delete (the old) abc.jad, abc.cod and abc.jar files directly from the blackberry? If so, does that really "uninstall" the application?
  4. ANY other option?

Regards,

Xoheb.

Developer
peter_strange

Re: Uninstalling / updating a Java application

Interesting, that is not what I would have expected.  I will give it a try.  Can you please tell me what level of OS you have on the device?

Try deleting the old module from your device using:

options->advanced options->applications->Modules

New Developer
xoheb

It's a blackberry 8800 (OS v 4.2.1.89). There's no Module option under options->advanced options->applications menu on the device.
Retired
bzubert

[ Edited ]

An application upgrade (remove old app, install new app) is only performed if both 1 and 2 below are statisfied:

1) application name is the same

2) vendor name is the same

If you do not satisfy those requirements, you can still "fake" the upgrade by first retrieving any persisted data so that it isn't lost, then deleting the CodeModuleGroup and using CodeModuleManager to delete all the modules within that group. 

Message Edited by bzubert on 07-18-2008 09:05 AM
Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
New Developer
xoheb

Thanks Brian!

I had indeed altered the application name and the vendor name in the .jad file; specifically, values for:

MIDlet-Name:

MIDlet-Vendor:

Switching them to the previous values solved the problem!

Xoheb.