Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: N/A
Accepted Solution

Unique issue with handling xml file on 8520 with OS 4.6

[ Edited ]

Our application works on many devices with os from 4.6 to 7. It is a learning platform that has a feature as get course from server and show it to user. This course has the configuration xml file that application parse.

App works fine on all phones except one, it is 8520 with OS 4.6. In log file I see that the issue is in part of parsing this xml file. Is is classic DOM parser but this code works well on ALL OTHERS phones, so the issue isn't in format of this file. Furthermore, we can't reproduce it on developer side with simulator, this issue exists only on real phone.

I suppose that this issue is specific for 8520 with OS 4.6 and probaly you encountered with this early. So if you have answer or guess please share it with me. All help would be apreciated.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Re: Unique issue with handling xml file on 8520 with OS 4.6

What kind of error do you see in logs? OutOfMemory? If so try to use SAX parser.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

In legacy code all exceptions handle in one catch block and throwing an exception instance with text about porblem in xml.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Sorry :smileyhappy: I can't help you with legacy code. 

If exception is catched it means that it some kind of exception not error. So definately it's not OutOfMemoryError.

Try to catch/log original error. There are plenty of resources that give you real 8520 with 4.6 and specific carrier. You could deploy app there and test yourself to understand reason.

Good luck!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Just to clarify, are you saying that the same XML and in fact the same code works on all other phones and OS levels, including other 4.6 OS's?

As you have suggested, perhaps there is a bug in the OS 4.6 code you are testing on device.  Can you tell us exactly what code this is (you will need to go into Options-->About to see the full OS release numbers). 

New Contributor

I mislead you.

Its is classic language gap between me and my client. We don't understood each other and now this error occurs on many devices. So my question doesn't have any sense.

Thank you for your help.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

It happens!

Can you mark this as Solved (instructions in Help link at the top), or explain how we can help you more?

Cheers