Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
azitnay
My Device: Not Specified

User stuck forever with "RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: false"

While developing an application with BlackBerry JDE 4.2.1, I wanted to give Storm users the best possible experience.  I thought I was doing this by putting:

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: true
RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: false

in the .jad file.  However, after further testing, I've now found that the application works much better with compatibility mode disabled.  So, I've changed the .jad file entries to:

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: false
RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: true

Unfortunately, before I did this, at least one Storm user installed the application.  Now he reports that compatibility mode is still on, even after deleting the app, rebooting, and reinstalling the app.  Even worse, the RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable setting seems to have persisted as well, meaning he can't simply turn compatibilty mode off manually for the app.

I've verified with the simulator that once the above settings are set for an app, there seems to be no possible way to reset them.  The only way I can find is to completely uninstall the simulator, then remove the files it fails to install, and reinstall the simulator.  Of course, this is not a practical solution in the field.

I have little doubt that changing my application's module name would make the problem go away...  But with users already using the app, I'd rather avoid that just to fix a single user.  Surely there must be a way to reset these settings manually?

Drew

Please use plain text.
New Developer
BBDev

Re: User stuck forever with "RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: false"

I also have one query regarding this issue. In Blackberry Storm simulator ,didn't get any "Disable Compatibilty Mode" option in Option->Advanced Option->Application->Application name.

I compiled my application in 4.1 & installed on 9530 simulator(without modifying the jad file).

Please use plain text.
Developer
azitnay

BBDev, it sounds like you might be actually selecting the application, and then looking for the compatibility option. If I'm right about that, then instead you should just highlight the application, and then hit the menu button while you're still on the screen with the list of applications. I believe the compatibility mode menu item is between "Edit Permissions" and "Delete".

Does no one have any ideas about my original question? Seems like a pretty big hole that an application can "poison itself" into never being able to get out of compatibility mode without changing the module name (or perhaps wiping the BlackBerry and starting over).

Drew
Please use plain text.
New Developer
jsdf
My Device: Pearl 8120

After much frustration, I believe I am seeing what azitnay experienced as well (though thankfully limited to the simulator, not to released units).

Has there been any progress on 'resetting' the compatibility mode once set?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

I think that the correct JAD file parameters are as follows:

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode: 0
RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable: 1

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jsdf
My Device: Pearl 8120

Hi RexDoug,

As I indicated in this thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=48007&query.id=60...

I have tried this, and my application still shows Compatibility Mode.

Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

[ Edited ]

When all else fails, try Options / Advanced / Applications, and disable Compatibility Mode for your application.

In my experience, this always works, even when the OS has the app "stuck" in compatibility mode.

EDIT: I see now that you and the o.p. have two threads with the same complaint. Didn't notice prior to this post, sorry.

Message Edited by RexDoug on 07-13-2009 10:52 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
bneeman

By no means an elegant way, but going into Options / Advanced Options / Applications / click Menu button and select Modules. Find the app's module (or modules), click Menu button and delete. This should erase the old JAD, and allow the user to reinstall cleanly.

Cheers, Barak.

Please use plain text.