Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
superdirt
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Using UpdateJad.exe tool causes delete application option to disappear

I used the UpdateJad tool to bundle multiple COD files to an existing JAD. Bundled in the JAD is a main UiApplication and an Application with no homescreen icon that my main application executes. What has resulted is there is no option to delete the main application from the home screen. Before using the UpdateJad tool, there was no issue with deleting the application.

Any ideas why the delete option has disappeared from the menu for this application? How can I get it back?

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: Using UpdateJad.exe tool causes delete application option to disappear

Just a quick guess, I seem to remember investigating a similar issue in the past. 

I think the jad is treated as one application, so from the perspective of deleting, it will assign the delete function to just one of your Applications.  I think in fact it just chooses the first one   But in fact you have two applications.  So when you do the update, if you list the background application first, it will get the delete.  By contrast, if you put the UiApplication first I think the UiApplication would get the delete.

So have a look at the ordering of the updates, which I think is driven by the order you specify the jads in. 

I would compare the combined jad with whatever you had before.

I don't use updatejad, I do the jad updates manually.  But I always start with the jad for the main application and add the other jads to it.  This works for me.

Let us know what you find. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

Re: Using UpdateJad.exe tool causes delete application option to disappear

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Peter. All I had to do was reverse the order of the JAD files in the command line.

Instead of:

updatejad mainapp.jad module.jad

This had to be done:

updatejad module.jad mainapp.jad

Now the COD files for the main application are listed last in the JAD file and the main application can now be deleted from the home screen. I used the updatejad tool, but like you said I think I could have shifted a few lines around manually to make this work.

Thanks,

Scott

Please use plain text.