Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
mwittig
My Device: Not Specified

Using the same connection as the browser

Hi,

i have to load a xml file from the internet. Actually i do this by establishing a HttpConnection with deviceside=true. I have some difficulties with this, so i tried to load the xml file on the same way as the bb browser does.
But i can not load the page with devicesie=false. I get the following error: IOException: Invalid url parameter.

Is there a way to load the contents of a xml file without having to set apn settings. Just like the bb browser works ?
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Using the same connection as the browser

Please have a look at the following links.

Support - IOException - Invalid URL Parameter when using deviceside=false
Article Number: DB-00655

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/Support...

Network Transports

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=network

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Two questions,

1) I am now appending "deviceside=xxx" but the problem is that people who use the connection don't seem

to strip this out before appending. So, for some sites from the browser app that uses this , I get

seconary url's that look like ( and google mobile keeps bombing), www.google.com;deviceside=true/m/search?mrestrict=xhtml....

How is a caller to HttpConnection.getURL() supposed to deal with this?

2) Is there anyway to turn off all of this html stuff? Page rendering takes 10+ seconds and my cpu goes away

on every key stroke ( I'd hate to hit these pages on a BB, LOL). While I'm sure MSFT wants to help Intel upsell, it is annoying in the mean time. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

1.  I'm not sure what you mean here.  It would be up to your application to create the valid URL and append the deviceside parameter to the end of it.

2.  I'm not sure what you are asking here.  What HTML stuff are you referring to?

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

To answer the second question first, I'm talking about the forum html. I see this a lot as people make websites

more graphical it can take forever to render but usually you can shut off some of the stuff.

Anyway, to the main point, I am using a RenderingApplication +BrowserContent trying to make a browser. I was getting some

DNS errors and adding the ";deviceside" modifier made these appear to stop but now someone is

mangling URL's that appear to be derived from page urls. So, I guess my question is, as a user

of a RenderingApplication, where do I specifiy how I want a request routed and who should

be removing this? I have wrapped httpconnection so it isn't hard to remove every non-terminal instance of the

string ";device..." from the getURL() request but I would like to know how this is supposed to work.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

[ Edited ]
The browser field is designed to use a connection through the MDS Connection Service of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, not a direct TCP connection.  Therefore, using the deviceside parameter in this field to make a direct TCP connection is not something that is supported.
Message Edited by MSohm on 09-04-2008 11:52 AM
Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

ok, I guess I can check the IETF if the ";" syntax, similar to the "#" fragment syntax, is supposed

to be supported in some way. It seems that removing non-terminal instances works just fine AFAIK so far.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.