Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Verizon multiband phone always returns CDMA even if on GSM network

Phone: VZ bold 9650 (CDMA and GSM capable).  Firmware 5.0.xxx

I have an application that tries to detect the network type to do various actions depending on that network type regarding cell tower information for location detection. 

On the VZ bold 9650 in the UK, the phone itself shows it's in GSM mode, however RadioInfo.getNetworkType() always returns RadioInfo.NETWORK_CDMA even when on a GSM network like in the UK or other EU countries.  

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I don't like creating a "hack" to handle issues like this but had to do so instead of relying on RadioInfo.getNetworkType() similar to below:

public static boolean isCDMA()
{
String CountryCode = isChangedCountryCode(); // checks country code of network. Returns "None" if USA
 if (RadioInfo.getNetworkType() == RadioInfo.NETWORK_CDMA){
if (CountryCode.equals("None")) {
return true;
} else {
return false;
}
} else {
return false;
}
}

public static String isChangedCountryCode() {
        String countryCode = RadioInfo.getNetworkCountryCode(RadioInfo.getNumberOfNetworks()-1);    
        if(countryCode == null || "".equals(countryCode)){
            countryCode = "None";
          }
         return countryCode;
    }

Should I need to do this in order to get an accurate result of what network type the phoneis currently using?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Verizon multiband phone always returns CDMA even if on GSM network

A Verizon Bold 9650 is a CDMA phone - the Network Type will always return CDMA. However, when it's roaming, the Active network will change. You want to use RadioInfo.getActiveWAFs().

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead