Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Video camera access

Video camera access is not allowed via the 4.6 SDK, yet companies like Qik and Next2Friends have beta apps accessing the camera.  Do they have access to lower level calls that are not supported/documented?  If so, how would other developers get access?  Thanks
Developer

Re: Video camera access

I wondered the same thing untill i installed Qik and checked it out.

It seems they launch the camera proper, and then (i think) make an end run and read the raw file stream.

New Developer

Re: Video camera access

I had the same assumption. 

Unfortunately, this method goes against the dictum of standardized API methodology.  BB has chosen NOT to allow this access via the supported API for a reason, similar to Apple's decision - thus, Qik can only run on jail broken iPhones!  This type of end-round must be addressed by BB - either by disallowing it or embracing it. 

Offering a hack application that (according to recent feedback) is hit-and-miss, does not further the platform.  I would like to hear BB's opinion on weather apps should stay true to the supported calls or "hack at will" and not worry about app stability and accepted UI principles. 

Blackberry is a great brand with loyal customers.  Allowing these types of rogue apps cheapens the brand and opens up the next "1,000 apps of nothing" app store!