Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Viewing TIFF (fax) files

Hi,

I need to display fax messages from within my application. I have the tiff files downloaded locally on the device.

Is there any way to view them using a system provided viewer ?

If I download a tiff attachment from an e-mail and try and view it locally, it fails.

Thanks

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Viewing TIFF (fax) files

AT&T sends me faxes in the form of tiff files and I have been unable to find any application that can read tiff files natively unless the file is attached to an incoming e-mail received by the Blackberry device.  For example, when there is a fax received on the home AT&T internet voicemail, you can download it to a Blackberry device (using an internet browser) and then e-mail it to yourself and then view the attached tiff file with the built-in program.  Unfortunately, AT&T can only forwards telephone messages with a wav attachment, but does not forward a tiff attachment when a fax comes in.  Another solution appears to be dochawk that requires a subscription -- that company essentially has you upload the tiff file and then converts it until a viewable format but when it stores locally it is one page at a time and the stored image is probably a jpg, but for a 25 to 30 page tiff file, it is not worth it and it apparently has no ability to control the download location for local storage and I have been unable to find out how to access it to copy it to my media card.  The word on the interent is that repligo has this ability, but it was not user friendly and I never did figure out how to make it work on a trial basis and had to uninstall because I was dissatisfied.  Technical support at AT&T and also Blackberry do not know of any other way to view a tiff file and this is primarily because pdf is the current standard and tiff is less common (i.e, not worth investing time / money to develop read support).  If anyone has a solution to simply navigate to the tiff file using a file explorer and clicking on the tiff file to view it with a linked third party application, or simply a third party application that can open the file directly on the media card or internal memory and view it, please contact me with the solution.  I have spent hours and hours on this issue -- the best solution is to get AT&T to start using pdf files for faxes received.

Developer

Have you tried converting the image to a TIFFEncodedImage object?

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

The options menu from File Manager Pro does not offer encoding conversion (that I can find), and the options menu from the built-in file manager explorer has auto encoding (and various other encoding options, but not TIFFEncodedImage).  Is there a program that can perform your recommendation?  Also, the problem appears to be linked to multiple page *.tif files -- i.e., one page seems to open just fine with media, but files with more than one page are displayed with a blank screen and a little x.

Developer

OP (newbie100) said "display fax messages from within my application" with files already downloaded.  I haven't ever done that so I was rather hoping OP would try my suggestion and tell us if it worked, or maybe tell us something else that works.

lawlist, if you have a different Java development topic please start a different thread.  Don't hijack this one; it already has a topic.

But if you're looking for an existing application to do something for you, I think you're in the wrong forum.

Developer

I have not worked on this any further, as this feature is not one that is high on the list for my current app...

If I do figure out a solution, I'll post it here.

Thanks.

New Contributor
My Device: fsdfd
My Carrier: blackberry

i am currently using this tiff viewing app to help me. hope it will do good to other people as well.