Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
alexey
My Device: Not Specified

Waiting icon during network transfering

Hello,

I have a Java video application. The application is getting .jpg images throught the network all the time and visualize it as Canvas. Everithing is ok, but Blackberry OS paint a waiting icon above my images. I guess the icon paiting is invoked as the result of network data transfer.

How could I hide that icon?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Developer
peter_strange

Re: Waiting icon during network transferring

Don't think the waiting icon is network related.  I would suggest that you plug in and debug on the actual device, look at the messages issued while the icon is being displayed, in fact, put some System.out.println lines in your application at strategic points so you can see what parts of your code are actually causing the problem. 

I'd guess it was garbage collection.  Do you get contiguous storage for the whole jpg at some point - if so that is what I think might be causing it.  But that is only a guess.

Also can you tell us what OS and device you are on and what icon you actually see?

New Developer
alexey

Device: BlackBerry 8800 with standard OS.

You are right, I invoke garbage collector, but only before/after a session. The session contains N-images getting by network and painting. During the session I can see a waiting icon all the time.

By the way, if it's depends on networking, garbage collection or other background process, do you know the possibility to switch off the icon painting?

Developer
peter_strange

If it is, in fact, garbage collection that is causing the problem, then it will most likely be the garbage collection run by the OS rather than yours at start and end.  If you review the debug output as I suggested, you should be able to tell what is happening at the time the icon is displayed, and so that will give us a better idea of what the problem is.  Until you do that, we are only speculating.

Garbage Collection seems the most likely cause, however there are other possibilities, such as a bug in your screen interaction, as happened in this thread from the old forum:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/forum/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=8987

You probably will need to do the debugging to find something like this.

However if it is garbage collection, then I don't think you can do anything about it.  See the following, again from the old forum.

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/forum/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=11672

Can you confirm that your OS is 4.2.1 and describe the icon you are seeing please.