Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
Jebadiah
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Weird Secure API error for app without Secure APIs

[ Edited ]

Hi, Some of my remote testers are finding it difficult to load my application on their devices. I have been sending them the .alx and .cod files each time so they could use their device manager application to load my application on the phone.

The most frequent error they are reporting is: "Error starting XXXX: Module "XXXX" attempts to access a secure API." This happens when they start the application on their phone.

There are zero secure APIs being used in my application. The Code Signature Tool  also tells me that I do not need to sign the application for anything.

All of them have OS 4.6.1 or later on their phones and the application is compiled for 4.6.1.

1. Can a carrier block apps from running on the phone? Such as a carrier signing thing?

2. Are there any other known issues that I should look at?

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Weird Secure API error for app without Secure APIs

1. No

2. Depends

You should ask one of them to send you a device log, it will specifiy where and what is causing the exception.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jebadiah

[ Edited ]

What I meant by carrier signing was this: could a carrier block applications from being run on the phone without their permission? I have yet to see such an occurrence myself, but was just wondering if it was possible for them to do that.

I will look into the Device logs to see what's happening and report back. Thanks for the tip!

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

Can a business who gives out phones to their employees block the loading of an application?

Scott

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.634 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1154, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

No, from what I remember reading, the only real things a carrier can do is change the language packs and put their splash screen on it. They can also push out links to download certain applications but they don't take any room and can be hidden.

They cannot block apps they don't like unless it is for all phones (Android, BlackBerry, iPhone, WebOS, etc.) in which case it would be a network block, not a application block.

Now as @superdirt brought up, if a business gives you your phone then they can block an app using their policy. This is because network traffic goes through their servers (BES) instead of RIM's.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jebadiah

Thanks for the tip about getting the Device Log! That helped me determine that it wasn't my code that was causing the Secure API issue. My tester's desktop manager was screwing stuff up and wasn't installing latest version at all, which didn't require signing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

No problem

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ThollyB
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: vodacom

How can I get a secure API in my fone,I'm trying to run photo studio and its not working.I've been told that it requires a secure API.Please help!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Are you a Java developer?

If not, you have come to the wrong forum.  I suggest you choose the forum specific to your phone from the list you will see here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Smartphones-and/ct-p/Smartphones

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

wild guess: ThollyB is a user that sees the "secure api" message when trying to use the photo studio app.
This means the developer did not sign his app properly, contact the developer. There is nothing you can do as a user.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.