Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
canamgroup
My Device: Not Specified

Re: What is the default GPS mode when no criteria is specified for the LocationProvider?

My accuracy is rarely within 5 metres.  Often, I'm like on the building on the other side of the street (based on Google Maps).  However, my GPS seems to rely a lot on weather conditions.  For example, on cloudy days, my GPS is not working inside my office... while on clear sky, I never miss a GPS even inside my office.  I heard that assisted GPS didn't have that kind of "problem".

Please use plain text.
New Developer
190B

Re: What is the default GPS mode when no criteria is specified for the LocationProvider?

I have found that inside my office, GPS doesn't work, so I haven't been testing this indoors at all. As for weather conditions, I have not found it to affect my GPS readings at all. Both Autonomous and Assisted still use the GPS satellites, so weather conditions can affect both.
Please use plain text.
Developer
canamgroup

You're right, weather conditions doesn't affect my GPS readings at all... when I'm outside.

When I'm inside, sometimes it works (usually clear sky), sometimes it doesn't (usually cloudy).

This is just based on my personal experience.  It might not be true to every situations.

...So it's kinda hard to know which mode is really used then :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
190B

What comes to mind in that situation is that inside you are probably getting a very weak signal in ideal weather (sunny), so once it's cloudy that is enough to block out the weak signal. That'd be my best guess. The only other difference is make sure that if you are high up north, or low down south (ie on the earth) that you are facing a window that is facing the equator, because that is where the majority of the gps satellites are from my understanding.
Please use plain text.