Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

What is the proper format for a single .ALX file for Pre and Post 5.0?

Hello,

We have an application that has been working fine on the pre 5.0 BlackBerry OS.  We have a single ALX file that uses the _blackberryVersion designation to determine which COD files should be installed to which devices.  We do this because we build separate sets based on the device, eg the Storm version is more optimized for the Storm devices.  This has all been working fine however with the release of BlackBerry OS 5.0 the OS versions seem to have changed.  Previously the Storm was 4.7.0.x and when the Tour came out it was 4.7.1.x.  Now however both the Storm 2 and the Bold 9700 are both 5.0.0.x, at least based on the OS versions for the two simulators available now.  This makes it impossible to use the _blackberryVersion designation in the ALX file, at least for us, because we have different COD files for the Storm, with touchscreen, and the other devices, without touchscreen.

So, I'm trying to figure out what the proper method for using a single ALX file is in this case.  From what I can tell the _blackberryVersion item only uses the first three sections of the version, eg 4.7.0 or 5.0.0, so even trying to make it more specific would not work, and would also be impractical for all the minor versions that will eventually be out for diffrent carriers.

I did try using the series designation, eg <fileset series="9500" java="1.0"> and even that would not work.  I also tried that with 9500|9530|9550 and still got an error in the Application Loader saying there was no compatible software.  At first I thought that was due to having some <fileset> sections with _blackberryVersion and then others with series.  But I tried a new ALX file with just the series designation and still had no luck.

Has anyone figured out how to do this properly yet?  Does anyone have working examples of ALX files that use series=? Does anyone have working examples of ALX files that use both _blackberryVersion and series?

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not the actual developer of the application, I only update the ALX file.  So I do think it's possible to have one COD file build but at this time that won't be happening so I need to figure out the best solution with the multiple COD files, which shouldn't be an issue since it's supported and described in the documentation.

If I need to post the ALX file please let me know.

Regards,

David Devaney, Jr.

Developer

Re: What is the proper format for a single .ALX file for Pre and Post 5.0?

Are you sure you've used the "series" attribute properly? It should work, from what I know.

9500 might not be the correct value for the "series" attribute for the 9500. Have a look for the actual name of the series in the Platform.alx that is intalled under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader\<handheld software dir>\. The series is an attribute of the "os" element.

Developer

The correct series attribute for 9500 is "Thunder".

U can find it at all attributes here---(for normal installations )

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Device.xml

New Developer

Hello,

Thank you, that was indeed helpful.  I wish that had been fully documented in this documentation:http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/9125/JDE5.0_CoreDevGuide_Beta.pdf

At the very least telling me where I could have found the series names.  The example they have there still refers to the 8700 device.  At the very least it should be updated to have the series name/number for the devices using that SDK/OS version.

I have confirmed that this is working for the original Storm, series Thunder, and the Tour, series Niagara.  I'm downloading the Sims for the Storm2 and Bold 9700 now to test with those.

I've also partially confirmed that I can combine <fileset series=""> and <fileset _blackberryVersion=""> in the same ALX file.  This worked for installing to the Storm and Tour sims.  I still have to go back and re-test on older device sims to make sure the _blackberryVersion is actually working.  But it did not affect being able to install to those Sims.  I will update this post after I've fully tested.

For others interested in being able to use one ALX file to install to multiple device models, including he new Storm2, 9550, and Bold 9700, which both have the BlackBerry OS 5.0.0.#, the series names for those models are as follows.

Storm2 = Odin

Bold 9700 = Onyx

Those, along with the original Storm and Tour devices are the only ones so far that have named series.  All the others have numbered series.  I'm not sure why RIM changed this as it makes it very confusing, especially without detailed documentation.  I'm also curious why they changed OS numbering conventions.  The Tour was released right after the Storm and still had used 4.7.1.# when it could have easily used a 4.7.0.#, since 4.7 was so new. I wish they'd done that with the 5.0 devices.

If anyone knows where a full list can be found that match the Model number with the Series Number/Name it would be appreciated.  I ask because the Device.xml file only appears to have the model numbers for the Country/Region that is chosen when installing the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  One assumes that a similar model for a different country will use the same series Number/Name but it would be nice to know for sure.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Regards,

David Devaney, Jr.

Highlighted
New Developer

[ Edited ]

Well this method works and it doesn't work.  I was able to combine fileset _blackberryVersion and fileset series in the same ALX file and it was working fine in simulators for 5.0 devices and the older devices.  However we have one user with a Storm 9530, series Thunder, who has upgraded to 5.0 and it doesn't seem to install for them.  I've confirmed they have the latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager so that they have the most current device.xml file.  I had no problem installing using this method on a 9530 without the upgrade, so it did recognize the 9530 as series Thunder.  But I'm not sure why it won't install once the device has been upgraded.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any comments or assistance.