Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
mlamagra
My Device: Not Specified

What's changed about the firewall and app permissions in 5.0?

In the simulator with the 5.0 JDE (beta 3), I can't find "Edit Permissions" for the downloaded app anywhere.  All I see is Edit Default Permissions. Reading the help, it sounds like it should be the same as in 4.7.

There's also an issue with the firewall not prompting for Allow/Deny even when reset and re-enabled.

My app works on the simulator, but not on real phones running 5.0, because (it seems) the firewall just blocks the app.  On earlier OS the problem is easily solved by resetting the firewall so it asks its questions again, then selecting Allow.  But on 5.0 it won't ask the questions.

So does anyone know what's changed about the firewall in 5.0?  Why won't it prompt, why is the sim different than the real thing, and why can't I edit permissions?

Thank you,

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: What's changed about the firewall and app permissions in 5.0?

By default all BlackBerry smartphone simulators run with device security disabled.  This means that they do not enforce signing restrictions, application control policies or firewall checks.

You can enable this within the simulator preferences.  To do so click on the Edit menu of the BlackBerry JDE, choose Preferences, click on the Simulator tab, then the General tab and check off Enable device security.

Note that you'll to reset the simulator after making this change by clicking on the File menu and choosing Erase Simulator file and clicking on each of the 3 options.  Otherwise the simulator will give you an error on startup.  You'll also need to take this step if you disable device security.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.