Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

What will happen to all our apps?

Rumor has it that RIM is moving to a QNX based platform. Question is. Is RIM going to provide an interface so that existing apps will run without modification?

"RIM eventually plans to transition its BlackBerry smartphones to the QNX operating system as well, people familiar with RIM's strategy said."

http://www.appolicious.com/finance/articles/3218-rim-s-blackpad-tablet-computer-poised-to-debut-next...

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: What will happen to all our apps?

well, QNX is a POSIX system and should be capable of running a j2me/bb VM. I would guess that new apps would be written either in desktop java (yay) or something else.

would be similar to android i guess.

i think the blackberry OS has its limitations and the API was designed for 1990 phones, not the 1GHz smartphones that are available nowadays.

While it would be bad to lose all my developer knowledge in the quirks of the bb-api i would say that the BB OS is maybe not the best system for the future.

As a second thought, it would be totally possible for RIM to run the current VM on QNX without giving developers more access to anything, just changing the chassis, so to say.

currently it's all very speculative, let's wait what happens :smileyhappy:

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
Aviator168
My Device: 8520, 8900, 9000, 9300, 9650, 9700, 9780, 9800, 9810, 9900, 9930

simon_hain wrote:

As a second thought, it would be totally possible for RIM to run the current VM on QNX without giving developers more access to anything, just changing the chassis, so to say.

This might be the most likely scenario as it can maintain the current security scheme (security is big thing with RIM) and retain all apps. At the same time, they might allow native "apps" to be written as services to enhence functionality. This is actually a powerful feature. For example, a company can insert its own encryption code for BBM or make routing of push messages not go through RIM's server.  Currently, this is done through BES (a RIM product). With companies doing their own custom encryption and routing, RIM can say to those countries (those want to ban BB services)  that they have nothing to do with it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

I agree, I expect the VM to still be there, I don't exactly think desktop Java but at least the ability to use Enums, generics, etc and hopefully more JSRs.

Based on what I've (and probably many others here) heard "QNX is more efficient and uses less memory then Linux" which would definitely give it a huge leg up on competition, well they need 1GHz CPUs, BlackBerry (irrigating enough) still is in the MHz range but it may not matter if QNX is as efficient as they say.

It will be an interesting DevCon if all the rumors turn out to be true.

If there is anything I am truly hoping for is shared libraries, that's all I have been doing for most of my time working with BlackBerry is making libraries, if I can't make it for one app and have another app use it without installing a separate version then I might go insane (still not changing phones though).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jack_black
My Device: Not Specified

QNX is really good! so beware android fans

BB VM is also a nice one , the best optimized Java VM around so It will be sometime to throw it

BB looking confident to port atleast all store apps to QNX VM

heard OS 6.0 is the end of BB OS

and BB tablet is fist test for QNX

I have exposure to QNX., its the first RTOS to support multi-core, more stable than any linux(as dominating as RTOS) and have superb mikrokernel architecture, even gtk for UI and very matured toolchain for code making. People long wandering why its not on mobile world? and RIM is showing the way

find and read the "RIM's secret weapon" article from the web

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.2174, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.0.700 Dev OS, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

It will be interesting, we need the SDK to be released first so we can see what we can/and can't do.

I do think it is a well optimized VM, maybe too optimized. The highest form of optimization is simplification to the point of removing features that slow it down and the current VM drives me nuts because I have been making libraries and it doesn't support shared libraries.

I hope that because QNX is so simplified (the only components are "CPU scheduling, interprocess communication, interrupt redirection and timers. Everything else runs as a user process..." from Wikipedia) that they can put it on the devices that weren't fortunate enough to get OS 6.

Only time will tell what can be done with it.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
rizinbox
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: du

I want to know any opensource software which i can use for blackberry Messaging

I want to know any opensource software which i can use for building own Blackberry messaging application.

if anybody have idea then iform me.. plz

--
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
------------------------------------------------------------
Riz
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: I want to know any opensource software which i can use for blackberry Messaging

If your question has nothing to do with the thread (which seems to be the case), please start your own thread.

Please use plain text.
Developer
rcmaniac25

By the way the first beta SDK is up for the Tablet OS.

Three simple rules:
Please use plain text.
Developer
jack_black

@rcmaniac25: got the news from your tweet :smileyvery-happy:

looks like going google way...adobe air prerequisite so imphasis on rich web apps

who knows what inside

just getting my hands on it:smileytongue:

Please use plain text.