Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerrry 8300 Curve
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Where is OTA installed application?

Hi,

I've installed an application, (not a midlet) ota in the simulator. The installation finished 'succesfully' and the application shows up under Options | Advanced Options | Applications. But nowhere else. Where should I look, what should I check? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Where is OTA installed application?

Downloads folder?

Developer

Usually you should find the app in your Downloads folder.

New Contributor

Sorry, I should have mentioned it is not in the Applications, Games or Downloads folder.

Best regards,

Mark

Developer

I'm guessing it did not start up or has some verification problem, so the OS has not allowed it.  The usual problem here is building for the wrong OS level.  Did you use a development environment that was 'older' or the same as the device's OS?

New Contributor

To make sure that I'm building for the right OS I've uninstalled all JDE's expect one, 4.6. From your reply I understand that the OS tries to start an application when you install it over the air and when starting up fails, it doesn't add the application to any folder - is that right? Is there a log where I can check what goes wrong? When I attach the JDE to the simulator, the OTA installation doesn't show in the log at all.  Actually the only feedback I get is the 'Installation was succesful' prompt, which is less than helpful.

Mark

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

You could check the event log. It's a bit hard to read, but it may help.

On simulator:

Tools --> Show Event Log

Good luck,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
New Contributor

The Event Log has two lines: LED : Off / System :  First Idle.

On the 734th attempt, something was different: when I checked Options | Advanced Options | Applications, it said *no applications* instead of the usual list, and now only Modules shows a list, including my app. Can it be I'm installing a module instead of an application and how do I tell the OS it's an app? Sorry, but I'm slowly melting into a puddle of despair.

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Developer

Hi,

Just a guess sometimes it works on simulator, little strange but it works, change the images in your project and again build.

Regards,
Rajat Gupta.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution" and kudos - your wish
New Contributor

I've replaced my app with HelloWorld without any images with the same result. On the 9500 simulator, I checked an application, a library and my attempt (see attached screenshots): the application refers to applications I can find back in the Applications folder, my HelloWorld doesn't. Does anyone know why?

1769iFA0D829A82A4409C

1768iEA76DD2CBC651FDD

1767i064D65ECCAFDF636