Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
mlamagra
My Device: Not Specified

Which outlets are you making most money at?

I think this isn't inappropriate to ask, because I'm sure that all of us who sell our wares for sure apply to have them on App World, but also at least one other place due to the time it takes to get approved at App World.  I'd like to compare relative results to see some of these other sites really are a complete waste of time.

First of all, are these all the BlackBerry store providers?  Meaning, if you submit your wares to these you'll be in every BlackBerry store?

App World

MobiHand  --> Crackberry, BerryReview, and others, including at last one Spanish-language store

Smartphone.net  --> Pocketgear, and at least one other?

Handango

That's where I've got my stuff so far.  The results?

App World

... took a long time to get going, cost $200 plus weeks for approval, but is now making the most money, partly due to 80% royalty.

MobiHand

... fast-start, most sales come from Crackberry so are paid at 60% instead of 80%.  Requires lower prices and getting into the top 20 to make any substantial money, as soon as out of the top 20 it's much less money than App World.

Handango

... so far totally useless.  Even with apps at the top of the New Software and Updated Software lists, I had zero sales, while those same apps started selling right away when introduced at App World and MobiHand.

Smartphone.net

... have to wait for approval, but not as long as App World.  Few hits and no sales for the same apps that started selling right away at Mobi and App World.

So my conclusion so far is, App World is the best but after making us pay $200 I think approval should be faster.  And if you try to argue with them about anything, even on behalf of the customers, it seems that submissions suddenly take much longer to get approved.

Second is MobiHand, but it's less consistent than App World, make a ton of money one month, then starve the next.  Much more volatile but at least it's fast to publish and update. Very good but the need to constantly have things on sale to get any business is tiresome.

Handango and Smartphone.net are difficult to manage, especially Handango's system, and seem to have almost no customers.

What have you all been experiencing?  I know some people have been doing this for years, I've only been in it for a few months.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
mb1

Re: Which outlets are you making most money at?

Hi, Thanks a lot for posting this. This is definitely going to be helpful for some of us who intend to put their wares out soon.

Have you also considered selling it on your own destination website? I hope more experienced devs/teams share their experiences as well.

--MB.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mlamagra

Thanks for the reminder about that approach.  I know at least two of the above can process transactions directly from your own website, I'll try MobiHand for that first.

Handango sends daily summaries by e-mail, which I don't think any of the others do.  Forgot to mention the percentages of Handango and Smartphone.net, I think one of them is 60% and the other 50% for some outlets and % varies for others.  MobiHand would be great (80%) if any significant number of customers actually bought there directly, but most go through Crackberry and they take another 20%.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Sorry, I can't comment, but if you haven't already seen this, it might provide interesting reading:

http://www.versatilemonkey.com/story.html

Please use plain text.
Developer
mlamagra

Thanks for that info.  As an added note on Handango, you have to make a special version of most of your files just for them -- including special screenshots resized to exactly 240x320 and only .jpg, and have to copy those screenshots if you have different releases for different platforms, because it won't allow the same filenames twice even on different products.  You have to make a special trial version just for them because you're required to mention Handango in the trial app.  And what a waste of time, I've made 75 cents there so far after spending a full day tailoring and uploading my products.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Pigleg

Yes, I thought the versatilemonkey experience was extremely interesting, particularly the obervations on marketing, user comments and stats. It's difficult to get any order of magnitude idea about what sales you'll realize once you launch. Very grateful for that info.

I also liked his comment about ad-supported versions - no doubt you'd get way more users for free downloads and they'd be pretty targeted, but I suppose it would be weird new terrain for advertisers to get involved in. Still, mobile is becoming the largest market out there so they'll get on the bandwagon sooner or later.

Also, I'd like to see a tutorial blog post from Mr.Marcus on the ins and outs of network programming.

One question, how do you handle licensing on the other outlets - do they have something similar to the app world dynamic licensing?

Please use plain text.