Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
ankit2grover
My Device: Not Specified

Why developers are not permitted to make a Connection via their Service Provider by direct TCP/IP?

Hi All,

I was trying to make a HttpConnection as a thirdparty developer via my service provider by direct TCP/IP.But,it is really awful that am not permitted for that because my service provider does not support this service....My questions are to RIM people and other developers are ->

1. Is this is only in India,where third party developers are not permitted to make a HTTPConnection by direct TCP ?

2. Why is it so?

3. Is this kind of service is unacessible in other countries also?

Iam posting this thred for some developers in INDIA that if they are also facing similar kind of problem in making an HTTPConnection?Then they should not try too hard,for developing such kind of aplications(i tried to develop similar kind of application through (AIRTEL INDIA),because service providers in India do not permit for that........I would be very much appreciate any kind of reply that why is it so? Is anyone having any idea about that........Please do not take this thread in any negative way,it is only because to know why is it so?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Why developers are not permitted to make a Connection via their Service Provider by direct TCP/IP?

I can't comment on why a carrier may or may not support a specific feature, but please note that if you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), you would be able to make a socket or HTTP connection through the BES regardless of a carrier's direct TCP configuration.  The following link summarizes the routes you can make a socket or HTTP connection on BlackBerry.

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.