Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

WiFi over UDP problems

I am trying to start a Wi-Fi connection over UDP. The 4.3 and 4.5 documentation says it can be done as follows:

(DatagramConnection)Connector.open("udp://host:de st_port[;src_port]/apn");
and
"The interface=wifi parameter applies only to TCP/UDP connections."

So, I started tweaking the connection string and so far have tried the following:

"datagram://192.160.0.4:5600;5800;interface=wifi"
and
"udp:192.160.0.4:5600;interface=wifi"
and
"udp:192.160.0.4:5600:5800;interface=wifi"
and
"datagram://192.160.0.4:5600:5800;interface=wifi"

I get an IllegalArgumentException: Invalid digit in all cases.

I am not sure what to set the APN string to, and whether it is even relevant in the case of Wi-Fi. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Earl 

Earl Oliver
Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Re: WiFi over UDP problems

For all UDP connections, there is an assumption that an APN (Access Point Name) is required to allow your traffic to leave the carrier network.  In the case of WiFi, you should be able to create the connection over WiFi without specifying an APN.

As for the issue below, there is a known issue in 4.5 handheld software that prevents UDP connections from working.  We are working diligently to resolve the issue.  

Can you confirm that you are using 4.5 for your tests below or 4.3?

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

Thanks Mike.  That's great to hear.

I am running 4.3 on a 8120.

Earl 

Earl Oliver
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Mike,

Given the haphazard way in which OS releases are handled let's say you do come out with an update to 4.5 which fixes this issue what does this even mean to the developer?

OS upgrades are not handled like they are in the Windows or iPhone world.

Since there are a huge number of users already out there now with 4.5 installed, as a developer won't we still have to support the broken 4.5 irrespective of whether an update is released or not? (because the average user doesn't upgrade as RIM does not provide a clean mechanism to do so).

I know that OS 4.5 introduces OTA upgrading. But to date there have been next to no details made available. Does this work for BIS and BES users? Is the process still painful for the user (and hence, they'll avoid it)?

In short, what is RIM doing to guarantee that users always have the latest OS version installed on their BlackBerry so developers can get out of this trap of supporting sixty billion different OS versions and all their minor subvariants, each with their own curious set of unique bugs.