Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
walkin
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Windows 7 Developing

I have a very bad experience with Win7/64. At the beginning, right after the installation of Eclipse(-plugin), it worked OK,

even in debug mode. But after installation of several simulators (and needed? VC++ redistro) debugging became a nightmare!

After that I also tried to install JDE 6.0/7.0/7.1, - it even does not start!

Yes, I do use 32-bit java and even do not have 64-bit installed. Path is OK too.

I guess, there is something memory related because ALL BB environment is 32-bit, and, hence, sticks to 4GB, 

no matter how much is installed.

System itself (Win7/64) eats up about 2GB!

To run in debug I have to close almost all apps, cleanup memory with some utils, and then 

after a very lengthy "connection"(?) I can step through my code.

On the other hand I do not have any issues whatsoever on Win7/32.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
IpiRon
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: verizon

I've been pulled off for some other things since I did my install and quick testing. I will be back on the debugging side of things later today and will see how it goes for me. (All I did was the install, simulator startup of the app and app testing. I had NOT done any additional development and debug stepping yet).

On your win7/32 are you running that in the XP virtual machine and are you able to keep auxillary programs open?

Please use plain text.
Developer
crispyoz
My Device: Bold 9900

IpiRon, agree re 4gb but my point was regarding the system as a whole. Even if your heap is 4GB if your system is running anything else (find me a windows machine that isn't) then windows will swap as will *nix.

Regarding debugging, it sounds like your GC is configured poorly for your system.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
IpiRon

FYI, I've been debugging all day (on new win7/64 with 9330 simulator and MDS auto launch). Everything is working great! Initially launching the app as 'debug simulator' takes less than 10 seconds on average compared to 60+ seconds on my old 2GIG XP. When I hot-swap for code changes without stopping/restarting simulator it is between 3-5 seconds! Stepping through the code works fine, no problems. I'm a very happy camper.

The only other program(s) I have running is Firefox so I can Google stuff. Generally I may have email and SQL up but I haven't moved them onto the new box. Just for the record, the new box is DELL Studio 1747 dual Quad core, 6GIG with HDD (don't know the size/speed off-hand). The machine is a couple of years old and nobody wanted it because it is a 17" and on the heavy side. I can live with this so I won't be purchasing the Sony VAIO mentioned above even though it has 8GIG and SDDs. I installed the newest BB full Eclipse (Indigo) Plugin 1.5.2 released a few days back from RIM and I am targeting BB JRE 5.0.

I agree about the 4 GIG and swapping but with the response I have now, I can actually get some work done! Not sure what Walkin's issue is though.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
walkin
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Rogers

As I mentioned I had all's OK until I added some more simulators.

Installation comes with VC++ redistro.

Then bad things started to happen.

I mean, debugging itself is not that bad, but the problem is in "Establishing connection..",

which very often ends up with the error. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
IpiRon

Thanks for the additional info, I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm not sure at this point on how many simulators I will need,  I'm currently using the 9330.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
IpiRon

FYI to anyone interested:

After a week of substantial daily development, the only negative I have come up with is that I periodically get a 'Heap space' error. In a typical debugging session, I do all my code changes via the hot-swap procedure so that the simulator is not restarted. I have not seen this error in my XP development system so it definitely is something new to the win7/64 environment. It is not a show stopper just annoying.

I'll leave this thread open for a couple more days if anyone wants to add comments/experience then I'll close it.

Thanks to all! 

Please use plain text.
Developer
crispyoz

Are your breakpoints set to pause the VM or the current thread? Are you confiugured to use a JRE or JDK?  Have you modfied your GC configuration?

------------------------------------------------

if I helped you press LIKE button

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
IpiRon

1. No clue about breakpoints. I just double click the line and go from there.

2. The only library in the Build Paths shows to be BlackBerry JRE 5.0.0

3. No clue about GC configuring.

I installed per instructions from the URL for 1.5.2 Plugin and took it from there.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
crispyoz

[ Edited ]

1) Your breakpoints in Eclipse can be set to pause the thread or the whole VM,   when you look at your ist of breakpoints you will see a radio button that give you the choice for each individual breakpoint. 

2) I am asking about the JRE/JDK Eclipse is running on, it can't be the BB JRE, asuming you are using a standard Eclipse build you will see a file named start,cmd in your Eclipse directory this sets your JRE home etc. All your JRE runtime parameters are in the Eclipse.ini in teh same directory. 

3) Your GC configuration is in the Eclipse.ini above as it is a run time parameter 

-------------------------------------------------------

if I helped you press the LIKE button

Please use plain text.