Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
joven
My Device: Not Specified

Working with PDEs on different carriers

I am working on a location-based application that I hope to be portable across carriers. I've read most of the GPS articles in the knowledgebase and am aware of how JSR179 and PDEs work. So, my first question is where do you get the PDE server and ip addresses from? Do the carriers document them? Do I need to sign up for each carrier's developer program separately?

My second question is does anyone have a suggestion for managing different PDE settings per carrier. Can I detect the carrier in my code somehow? Should I offer separate builds for each carrier?

Thanks very much,

Andy

Retired
mkirkup

Re: Working with PDEs on different carriers

Good questions.

Unfortunately, the assisted GPS capabilities today are set up on a carrier by carrier basis due to the fact that the carrier will either try to generate revenue through this service or will want to minimize costs from offering the service.  Sprint is the only carrier that I am aware of which offers up assisted GPS without any configuration or settings with the PDE information hardcoded into the device.

Verizon, Bell, Telus and Alltel all maintain secrecy around the PDE information for connectivity to their servers.  In all three cases, you need to establish a relationship with those carriers to obtain the necessary information to connect to their PDE.  In some cases, this will require a more formal relationship (eg. Verizon requires a business plan) where as in other cases you just need to show value.

For your second question, yes, you can determine the active carrier or the home network.  There are a couple of knowledge base articles that speak to this capability.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/How_To_-_Deter...

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/1467358/How_To...

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
New Developer
joven

Thanks for the info Mike. This was what I suspected and its good to hear it confirmed.

What about standalone gps? Verizon apparently doesn't support it. Do all of the other carriers support it?

Andy

New Developer
joven

I found the kb article on phone capabilities also lists carriers.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800703/What_Is...

New Developer
seansealey

Mike,

We are trying to get the MCC from a Verizon BlackBerry (8830, OS 4.2.2) and keep getting the values 40 HEX 28.

Do you have an explanation and fix for this?

Developer
marchywka

Why does verizon need to "support" "standalone" GPS? You buy a GPS device, a bluetooth phone, and yet you

need a carrier to allow you to use your own equipment? I'm still ticked off that I couldn't test an

app I wrote while driving from GA to MI ( two US states, quite a bit apart). Now, I am using VZ

tower location and don't have any problem with them restricting access but the problem is they

don't seem to be too upfront about it. First, I magically got location information after requesting it

via the developer contact. then, after calling them from the freeway, it started working away

from my home area for a little while and then stopped again.....

This is as bad as their DNS look up facilities when you PAY for digital service...

If they want licenses to use public airspace they can at least tell us what they do and don't support instead

of wasting our time trying to bring various capabilities to others paying them for use of public RF bandwidth.

In short, I guess my non-rant constructive portion of this post is that if you are in the US, complain

to the FCC as this is more or a legal issue than a technological one. Open and fair access from

ISP's has been a big problem and carriers don't seem to be much different.

New Developer
vishalgupta1987

hii guys,,   i am also facing the similar kind of problem. please share your information. if anyone does know that how to get PDE settings.for various carriers and how to get  the carrier name country name... i have studied various articles. but getting confused to get MCC and MNC for CDMA devices..     

New Developer
bluewater825

I'm not able to get aGPS to work on Sprint Tour 9630 with OS 4.7.1.57.  Has anyone gotten it to work?